Freeway Speeds

Do to excessive amounts of Spam Registrations I will be activating accounts on an as received basis. RIGHT after you register, please SEND ME AN EMAIL info@castaicdualsportriders.com, with your username so I can activate your account.
Sorry for the hassle.

info@castaicdualsportriders.com
Deepbluerider

Freeway Speeds

Postby Deepbluerider » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:35 pm

Hello all,

This is my first post and was not sure where to put it. I was very excited to see a group of Dual Sporters based in Castaic. Perfect for me - I live in castaic and have a Dual Sport bike - I should fit right in. I was checking out the photos on this site and I noticed quite a few DRZ400S bikes with agressive knobbies - hoping some were 606's because that is what I have on my bike. Here is my problem, this is my first set of 606's, previously ran with 50/50 IRC tires, and immediately noticed a 65mph wobble with the new 606's. Then hit the internet and found a bunch of stuff about the DRZ and the 606's and the wobble - but so far I have no fix. Anyway, I simply wanted to know, for those of you with the same bike or same tire - how are you doing on the freeway / what should I expect?

Brad
Connotaucarius

Postby Connotaucarius » Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:37 pm

Greabr,

My recomendation is to take a very close look at your front forks. Each tube should be set up EXACTLY the same. Frequently the reason for stearing shake is a loss of fork oil in one tube due to a blown fork seal.

I've seen where people put a little air pressure in the forks, go up in altitude (thus increasing gauge pressure) and start hitting the bumps hard. This can cause you to blow a fork seal if you're not careful. Since we all have covers on our forks, we often don't notice a leak untill we start noticing something shaking.

Check the following...
1. If your bike is new, your fork oil level is probably ok. But, your air pressure may be uneven. Lift the front of your bike off the ground and open both air valves. If you want it softer, you can sit on the bike and do the same. This will equalize the airpressure in each tube.

2. Make sure your fork tubes are mounted to the same level in the triple clamp. And, make sure the bolts are torqued properly.

3. Make sure your rear wheel is mounted straight. I've seen the rear wheel slip, or mounted just a bit off.

4. Do you have any other adjustments on your forks, rebound, damping etc...? Make doubly sure they are set EXACTLY the same.

5. If this doesn't fix your problem, replace the oil in your forks. When refilling, make sure the oil in each tube is within 1mm of each other.

You should be able to ride that thing flat out without a wobble.
'02 XR650L
Connotaucarius

Postby Connotaucarius » Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:41 pm

PS: I ran D606's for a while and had no problems with them. I ran it flat out several times without a problem. Best I could do was 98 to 99 mph indicated. Just couldn't get it to go any faster.
'02 XR650L
mark_hochman
Site Owner

Postby mark_hochman » Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:15 pm

Brad, welcome to the website. I had a set of the 606's on a few years back and did not feel any type of wobble, then again I don't get much over 55mph. Have you had the tires balanced? May be worth checking.
Bob M

Postby Bob M » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:29 pm

Hey guys dose that 12-14 lb air pressure apply to my ktm with metzler dot knobbies as well. It is spinning the rear more than it proably should.