New blood

Do to excessive amounts of Spam Registrations I will be activating accounts on an as received basis. RIGHT after you register, please SEND ME AN EMAIL info@castaicdualsportriders.com, with your username so I can activate your account.
Sorry for the hassle.

info@castaicdualsportriders.com
Wallrat

New blood

Postby Wallrat » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:10 pm

Heyo everyone, just joined up.

Live down in Orange County but grew up in SCV riding Rowher Flats, Drinkwater, Ruby and Warm Springs Canyons. Mostly been riding dunes for the past decade or so on my Banshee and CR250, but got myself a street legal XR400 while I was out in Texas for a bit. Still finalizing all the shenanigans with the DMV but looks like I'll get my plate next week. Would have gotten it today but their computer system took a dive. Anyway I'm looking forward to exploring any DS rides around SoCal.
jonnyNITRO

Re: New blood

Postby jonnyNITRO » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:18 am

Welcome to the site.
Now that the rains have started, the dust is down and the riding will be more fun.
Graphic Design & Photography
Serving the Performance, Custom and Racing industries.
Http://www.jonnynitro.com
Wallrat

Postby Wallrat » Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:58 pm

Yeah plus the water crossings always make a ride more fun. I remember being able to see Catalina from Burnt Peak after a good rain had washed all the smog out of the air. That trail still even open? Last time I was in SCV my normal trailhead at Haskel Canyon/Copper Hill had turned into a subdivision. Couldn't even find a way through to the trail.
jonnyNITRO

Postby jonnyNITRO » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:28 am

That has been closed for some time. In fact a large portion of Drinkwater is closed as are the crossover trails to Bouquet (Rowher Flats).
But, there are still many places to ride. I find new places all the time.
Wallrat

Postby Wallrat » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:45 pm

What a shame. Ruby/Clearwater Cny was always my favorite riding place. We'd load ourselves down with fuel and camping gear and ride to camp right there off San Franciscito where that big I-beam structure is and use that as our base camp. To keep things interesting while at camp we'd setup pendulum swings and zip lines off of that I-beam thing. Still no idea what purpose that structure serves but looks like its still there according to google earth.

What's the best way to get to Rowher Flats now that Haskel Cny. is home to 80,000 people?
jonnyNITRO

Postby jonnyNITRO » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:32 pm

Well... Haskel Cyn feeds into Drinkwater, which is partially closed. You need to use the staging area on San Francisqito just before you get to the remains of the Muholland Dam.
Bouquet Cyn has 3 roads into Rowher Flats and the main entrance on Sierra Hwy.
jonnyNITRO

Postby jonnyNITRO » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:37 pm

A bit of trivia about the old dam that was up San Fran.

That dam collapsed shortly before midnight on March 12, 1928.
The water made it all the way to the ocean through Piru, Santa Paula and Ventura. Over 500 people died as a result of the ensuing flood and many grave sites were uncovered in the process.
Picture 1.png
Picture 2.png
Wallrat

Postby Wallrat » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:08 pm

Yeah my mom actually wrote an article about the dam disaster for the Signal back when we lived up there. Her article sorta spawned off the Ruiz family cemetary also in the canyon there and her interviews with survivors. Creepy driving up there and seeing all the chunks of dam debris littered around the road. I'll peak on google earth to see if I can figure out which turnout you're referring to. I seem to recall there being more than one.

Aaron8

Postby Aaron8 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:55 am

Wallrat

Postby Wallrat » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:55 pm

Ha yup that's it. Climbed all over that thing when we camped there. I still have no idea what its there for.