Rohwer Flats/Texas Canyon

Start a Ride here...
AXO Dude

Rohwer Flats/Texas Canyon

Postby AXO Dude » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:57 am

Since I have had the pleasure of finding and riding with you guys for more than a year now I have heard how fun from CDSR group and guys who say they know great trails to ride a Rohwer. But the powers that be have kept extending the open date. Does anyone know when and if they are going to open it again? I hear rumor in sept. is this correct ?
I feel like a kid at X-mas that never arrives.
Mark do you know ?
Ride Hard Ride Long
mark_hochman
Site Owner

Re: Rohwer Flats/Texas Canyon

Postby mark_hochman » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:50 am

Hi Steve, the Ranger we met on our last ride told us but :- I cant remember. I think she said July.
AXO Dude

Postby AXO Dude » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:44 am

Thanks mark old is a bitch.
Also thanks for the book tip I just ordered it. Maybe I will find the secret to being a old rider in it ?
Also is anyone riding the big bear dual sport ride on the 27th and 28th. I have room in a condo close to the ride start. $85 for the day and it looks like a great ride. They have a A and B course A harder than B. We will arrive on the 26th and leave sunday the 28th but you can come just for the day if you wish. The riding in big bear is awesome. check it out at http://www.bigbearbikers.com/bbtr/future_events.html
Ride Hard Ride Long
DustyRock

Postby DustyRock » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:39 am

The nice Ranger lady told us that they plan on opening Rohwer Flats in August. The caveat after thinking about it....... she did not state WHAT YEAR ! :- :excuseme: :-
Dusty
1980 Mini Trail 70, DualSport - 3 Speed Auto - Street Legal - Hang On !
The Regulator

Postby The Regulator » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:58 pm

DustyRock wrote:....... she did not state WHAT YEAR ! :- :excuseme: :-
That is so true! I have only ridden there a couple of times before they shut it down.

I'm jealous of you guys that are going to do the Big Bear ride. Have fun and stay safe. Anyone going for the plaque!..next year I'll give it a go. :up:

....so others do still use this site. :)
"Duane"
"03" XR400R
"05" CRF 450X "00" XR650R
Wing_pilot

Postby Wing_pilot » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:36 pm

For what it's worth, the current "official" closure order affecting the Rohwer Flats area lasts through November 7, 2009. Of course that order (the "Buckweed Fire Area Closure Order - Nov 7, 2008") could be rescinded prior to its one year expiration date. So perhaps the nice ranger lady was offering up some good insider info, or maybe not. Either way, you can view maps of the closure areas, and track the officially published status of all closures within the Angeles National Forest at:
http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/angeles/orders/

Hope that helps.
AXO Dude

Postby AXO Dude » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:12 pm

Yea Duane both Victor and I are going to try for a plaque. Starting to get worried though very says it is tough. The head dude said we should start at 6am and we will be done by 6pm or 7pm with an hour lunch. Wow ! It is a 186 mile ride altogether. Well a 15 yr girl did it so I'm optomistic.
Wing Pilot thanks for the Rowher Info.
Ride Hard Ride Long
The Regulator

Postby The Regulator » Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:25 am

AXO Dude wrote:Yea Duane both Victor and I are going to try for a plaque. Starting to get worried though very says it is tough. The head dude said we should start at 6am and we will be done by 6pm or 7pm with an hour lunch. Wow ! It is a 186 mile ride altogether. Well a 15 yr girl did it so I'm optomistic.
Awsome Steve, I heard it was tough and endurance and navigation skills a must. I would probably take minimal breaks and just keep rolling. I hear most riders are pretty whooped by lunch.
Looking forward to the war stories! Good luck guys. :up:
"Duane"
"03" XR400R
"05" CRF 450X "00" XR650R