Rowher Flat Is OPEN!

Start a Ride here...
ericbee

Rowher Flat Is OPEN!

Postby ericbee » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:46 pm

Yeah! Opened last weekend :banana: Has anyone had a chance to check it out yet? A couple of us are going to scope it out this Friday.

Main entrance at Sierra Hwy is open for sure and it looks like Bouquet Canyon entrance is open too. Doesn't sound like Drinkwater is open though (possible open in spring?). More info here on ThumperTalk:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showth ... p?t=834026

I'll post something after our ride. :ride:
ericbee

Re: Rowher Flat Is OPEN!

Postby ericbee » Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:19 pm

Spent part of Friday AM up at Rowher, what a blast! Only a couple cars in #1 stage area and we only encountered one bike and a buggy on the trail. We had the place pretty well to ourselves. Trails in the immediate area were all open and in good shape - except for the west end of Sierra - it's still closed. They've done some work on Rowher hill climb so its a lot easier than last time. Bouquet is in good shape too. Drinkwater is definitely closed - the gate was locked at the San Francisquito entrance.

When we ran out of stuff to do at Rowher we blasted over to Antelope Buttes and then across the valley to the foot of the Tehachapi's. Made for a full day of riding, my body's achin' today! :up:
Aaron8

Postby Aaron8 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:28 am

Hi Eric- Good report! I went up Monday the 16th. Saw like 5 other riders there. Some stuff closed, but there is a new trail (Silver King) south of the main fire road the staging areas. It's really fun but should probably be a one-way thing as it's so narrow and exposed. As Eric said, most of the trails have been graded. Loose rocks everywhere, not packed down or knocked off to the side yet. I am SO out of shape :- Good to have ol Rowher back, though. :)
ericbee

Postby ericbee » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:26 pm

Hey Aaron8 - Yeah, Silver King was a blast. The one-way thing is a good call - we met up w/a quad coming the opposite way and it was a tight fit to squeeze by! :eek:

Did you see the mine pits just before you drop in to the trail? Kinda cool.

I really enjoyed "Spring Trail" too - that was a lot of fun.

Looking forward to going back soon!
Aaron8

Postby Aaron8 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:37 pm

EricBee- No, I didn't see the pits, but I'll certainly check it out this Saturday. I'll be up there with some guys on rented DRZ's. Thanks for the heads-up!
AXO Dude

Postby AXO Dude » Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:52 pm

Hey Guys this is a silly question. But since I have been riding with you guys RF hasnt been open. How do you get there and is there more than one gate to get in and park at ?
Also cant remember hi name but he is a big guy who put a complete white plastics kit on his CRf-450x and was wondering where he got them. Any and all feed back would be welcome.
Ride Hard Ride Long
The Regulator

Postby The Regulator » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:15 pm

AXO Dude wrote:Hey Guys ...Also cant remember hi name but he is a big guy who put a complete white plastics kit on his CRf-450x. Any and all feed back would be welcome.
Hey Steve,

I think your talking about RSC E (Roger)....also a while back I helped a guy called Bigger Boy over on TT locate some UFO all white plastics on ebay.

Hope that helps "D"

Lets Ride! :up:
"Duane"
"03" XR400R
"05" CRF 450X "00" XR650R
Wing_pilot

Postby Wing_pilot » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:00 am

AXO Dude, for customized directions to the main gate leading to Rowher Flat, plug these coordinates into Google Maps: 34.5001 -118.382
Unless you're riding in, this is the entrance you want. Note that as the sign shows, this is a fee area of the National Forest. And when I called the ranger station last week (Santa Clara/Mojave Rivers Ranger District 661-296-9710) they said they were enforcing the "Adventure Pass" requirement for the area.
DSCN0001.JPG
Here is what the main gate looked like last Saturday.
DSCN0019.JPG
Looking toward the first staging area from the entrance road.
DSCN0020.JPG
A loading ramp at one of the staging areas with the entrance road in the background.
DSCN0047.JPG
Looking back at the first staging area from half-way up the other side.
DSCN0072.JPG
Looking back at the staging areas from higher up.
DSCN0130.JPG
A pair of deer ran in front of me near Bouquet Reservoir. I stopped and one of them watched me for a minute.
jonnyNITRO

Postby jonnyNITRO » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:38 pm

When are you guys planning a ride ?
Graphic Design & Photography
Serving the Performance, Custom and Racing industries.
Http://www.jonnynitro.com
jonnyNITRO

Postby jonnyNITRO » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:57 pm

What about Corse Gold? When is that place supposed to open? Anyone, anyone?
:?:
Wing_pilot

Postby Wing_pilot » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:33 pm

Johnny,
When I called the ranger station two weeks ago, I was told that 5N24 (Course Gold) was gated off due to the transmission line work that was done in the area. I took her word for it and didn't bother to check it out myself. But I can confirm that toward the Northern end of Bouquet Canyon, at Bouquet Crossing, 6N19 (Quarry road) is gated. Both 5N24 and 6N19 lead from Bouquet Canyon to 6N18 (Del Sur road, aka Saugus Del Sur truck trail). As shown in the ten-day-old photos below, the power company is serious about keeping us out of the area, at least for now.
DSCN0139.JPG
6N19 (Quarry road) at Bouquet Canyon
DSCN0141.JPG
DSCN0142.JPG
I have no idea how long these gates will remain locked. But if the nearby Drinkwater Flat trail closure has anything to do with it, that may provide an indication. The ranger had told me that the DF trail closure is due to an annually recurring road washout in the area. She said the forest service is looking into rerouting one of the trails instead of continuing to deal with the annually repeating washout, subsequent trail closure, and costly repair work needed to reopen it. However, she gave no indication as to which year such trail rerouting may actually occur.

By the way, DF is open from the San Francisquito Canyon road entrance. But according to the ranger, 6N21 (City Highline) is gated off just North of the turnoff to 3416W02. So you either do a very short ride there and back, or you can do the loop back to the DF staging area via the harder trails. I haven't confirmed this first-hand, but Aaron8 and others apparently did it on New Years day. I had asked the ranger about it because I was hoping to find a mostly dirt route connecting Drinkwater with Rowher. But at least for now, it still doesn't look likely in the near future.

For what it's worth, I hope this helps.
jonnyNITRO

Postby jonnyNITRO » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:39 pm

Yes, that helps. Thanks so much for the info.

I know exactly what they are talking about. I was up there a few years back and the road was completely gone. I mean it just dropped off about 8 feet. Several of the turns along the road were eroded to the point were only one bike could get through.
Although, I'd have to say that I have not seen one electric company truck in that area for months. They are all up in Leona Valley now along the back of Sierra Pelona.

So, I think it s more about erosion... or some psycho, environmentalist female who doesn't want us on the trails at all. You decide. :excuseme:
AXO Dude

Postby AXO Dude » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:14 pm

Thank Guys for the info. Duane hope we can ride soon and thanks for the Plastics Info. Got them here now ready to install. Hope your doing well. We will be riding the Kern property soon allot in march hope you can make it with us. Thanks Wing man for your Rowher help
Ride Hard Ride Long
AXO Dude

Postby AXO Dude » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:15 pm

Sorry meant Wing Pilot.
Ride Hard Ride Long