The next big ride- Big Bear to Hawthorne

Start a Ride here...
User avatar
Calvin
Posts: 284
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:50 pm
Location: Thousand Oaks
Contact:

Postby Calvin » Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:49 am

WoHoo! :ride:
-Calvin
rockchucker22
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:45 am
Location: Bishop ca
Contact:

Postby rockchucker22 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:43 pm

Calvin wrote:WoHoo! :ride:
See you soon. :)
now I'm somewhere I'm not supose to be.......I can see things I shouldn't see
rockchucker22
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:45 am
Location: Bishop ca
Contact:

Postby rockchucker22 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:38 am

Calvin called yesterday and left a message. He said they had a tough time out of bigbear but made it to Barstow and they are trying for Trona.
now I'm somewhere I'm not supose to be.......I can see things I shouldn't see
User avatar
The Regulator
Posts: 281
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:32 pm
Location: Santa Paula, Ca.
Contact:

Postby The Regulator » Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:25 pm

Thanks for the update....next trip we need a little satelite tracking so those of us at home can live the dream too. :ride:
"Duane"
"03" XR400R
"05" CRF 450X "00" XR650R
rockchucker22
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:45 am
Location: Bishop ca
Contact:

Postby rockchucker22 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:37 pm

:cry: well the trip ended before it began for me. From what I gather one of the guys saddle bags fell off and was lost. A day was spent looking for the gear to no avail so the trip was cancled :cry:



What's next???? :D
now I'm somewhere I'm not supose to be.......I can see things I shouldn't see
User avatar
The Regulator
Posts: 281
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:32 pm
Location: Santa Paula, Ca.
Contact:

Postby The Regulator » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:18 pm

rockchucker22 wrote::cry: well the trip ended before it began for me. From what I gather one of the guys saddle bags fell off and was lost. A day was spent looking for the gear to no avail so the trip was cancled :cry:

What's next???? :D
Ok...I'll ask...what happened? Details! :ride:
"Duane"
"03" XR400R
"05" CRF 450X "00" XR650R
rockchucker22
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:45 am
Location: Bishop ca
Contact:

Postby rockchucker22 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:35 pm

The Regulator wrote:
rockchucker22 wrote::cry: well the trip ended before it began for me. From what I gather one of the guys saddle bags fell off and was lost. A day was spent looking for the gear to no avail so the trip was cancled :cry:

What's next???? :D
Ok...I'll ask...what happened? Details! :ride:
:excuseme: All I know is what I posted Calvin or one of the others will have to step up.
now I'm somewhere I'm not supose to be.......I can see things I shouldn't see
User avatar
Calvin
Posts: 284
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:50 pm
Location: Thousand Oaks
Contact:

Postby Calvin » Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:44 am

We started this trip last Friday, April 10. The weather called for 70% chance of rain and snow above 6000 ft. Clear weather for the rest of the week.

We knew we were going to get wet and it was going to be cold. We also knew we were probably going to need to bail on the route through Big Bear and loop around through the desert outside of Hesperia to reach the start of route 7.

So, on the ride out of Castaic we were watching the hill tops through Acton, Wrightwood and Cajon Junction. It was cold at Wrightwood, really cold, but no rain. No rain anywhere. The hill tops were overcast, but not with big pregnant thunder clouds. Just regular cloud cover. That sucked us in.

The Big Bear route. From Cajon Junction the climb on smts route 1 out of Sliverwood lake to Lake Arrowhead was uneventful. No rain, no snow. It as actually a little dusty. We reached Lake Arrowhead in a ½ hour or so and braced for the highway ride over to Big Bear.

About halfway through the town of Lake Arrowhead we ran into fog. Not light fog, not mist, but a thick solid fog bank. You could see nothing in front of you, nothing behind you, and no idea where you were going. Thick fog. The only reassuring thing was seeing the double yellow line just of your left knee as we inched our way along.

20 mph, we creped forward toward Big Bear.
-Calvin
User avatar
Calvin
Posts: 284
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:50 pm
Location: Thousand Oaks
Contact:

Postby Calvin » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:28 am

Pics of smts route 7-1 are here:
click for image
-Calvin
rockchucker22
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:45 am
Location: Bishop ca
Contact:

Postby rockchucker22 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:50 pm

Man I was packed and almost heading out. But 20-20 hind sight I was glad we didn't camp Tuesday night, it was sooo cold and windy. It snowed alittle in goldfield. This week we are going to hit 90's in the valley. Lets plan the next one before it gets too hot. :)
now I'm somewhere I'm not supose to be.......I can see things I shouldn't see
User avatar
The Regulator
Posts: 281
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:32 pm
Location: Santa Paula, Ca.
Contact:

Postby The Regulator » Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:30 pm

rockchucker22 wrote: Lets plan the next one ...... :)
I'm down with that.... when when when? :)
"Duane"
"03" XR400R
"05" CRF 450X "00" XR650R
rockchucker22
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:45 am
Location: Bishop ca
Contact:

Postby rockchucker22 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:41 am

I met a guy here at the campground and ended up doing a few hundred miles all around with him. :)
now I'm somewhere I'm not supose to be.......I can see things I shouldn't see
ericbee
Posts: 263
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:41 pm

Postby ericbee » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:52 am

Yeah, that trip started out in some amazingly bad weather! :eek: The fog up along Rim of the World was some of the worst I've ever ridden a bike in! After a hot cup of joe at Starbucks in Big Bear and a fun hail/snow squall we got to do some interesting route finding and an great sand/gravel wash along the beginning of R-7. But, over the next day or two - Terry lost a gear bag and Calvin's GPS died. Anyway, we decided that this trip just wasn't meant to be. You know, you just get "that feeling"? I'm glad it happened at a good bail point that made for an easy exit. There will be many more chances for an epic ride - let's get plannin' for the next one! :ride:
User avatar
Calvin
Posts: 284
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:50 pm
Location: Thousand Oaks
Contact:

Postby Calvin » Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:46 pm

Route planning wise we were watching the weather all week before the trip, we knew there was a chance of snow at Big Bear and we had a plan. Watch the mountains on the ride out through Acton and Canjon Junction and if the weather looks bad bail onto a desert route to hit the top of route 7. It was about 40 miles further on the desert route.

We were looking for rain or snow. Never even thought about fog. Fog at 6,000 ft? Well, it was there, it was thick and it slowed us down.

Just outside of Big Bear, around Craft’s peak on hwy 18, it started to snow. Not bad. Just a light snow fall and a small amount of slush along the side of the road. We reached Big Bear somewhere around 1:00 pm, and because it was snowing we had no intention of sticking around to see how it turned out. We blew off lunch, grabbed a cup of coffee, talked about the trail, gassed up and eventually got out of town.

SMTS rt1: The route starts at the south end of Baldwin lake. The west facing slope was clear. We were finally on the trail! As we top the ridge and started down the east facing slope the route had a light dusting of snow but as completely rideable. As we descended the snow cover became increasingly thick to something around an inch. Rideable. But here is the deal: it was snowing and what started out as a light snow fall in Big Bear was now coming down hard and in a hour or two there may be no way to double back. Since we had no idea how thick the snow pack was ahead of us we bailed.

We bailed back to Baldwin lake to pick up highway 18 with the intention of riding that out to the desert and doubling back to the start of route 7. Eric found a cutoff on highway 18 for a dirt route over to the start of route 7. We took that and reach the trail head at about 3:00 pm. Finally, the trail.

Here is a pick of the trail head of route 7. Light snow fall in April.
http://www.castaicdualsportriders.com/g ... temId=5998
-Calvin
rockchucker22
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:45 am
Location: Bishop ca
Contact:

Postby rockchucker22 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:50 pm

Calvin wrote:Route planning wise we were watching the weather all week before the trip, we knew there was a chance of snow at Big Bear and we had a plan. Watch the mountains on the ride out through Acton and Canjon Junction and if the weather looks bad bail onto a desert route to hit the top of route 7. It was about 40 miles further on the desert route.

We were looking for rain or snow. Never even thought about fog. Fog at 6,000 ft? Well, it was there, it was thick and it slowed us down.

Just outside of Big Bear, around Craft’s peak on hwy 18, it started to snow. Not bad. Just a light snow fall and a small amount of slush along the side of the road. We reached Big Bear somewhere around 1:00 pm, and because it was snowing we had no intention of sticking around to see how it turned out. We blew off lunch, grabbed a cup of coffee, talked about the trail, gassed up and eventually got out of town.

SMTS rt1: The route starts at the south end of Baldwin lake. The west facing slope was clear. We were finally on the trail! As we top the ridge and started down the east facing slope the route had a light dusting of snow but as completely rideable. As we descended the snow cover became increasingly thick to something around an inch. Rideable. But here is the deal: it was snowing and what started out as a light snow fall in Big Bear was now coming down hard and in a hour or two there may be no way to double back. Since we had no idea how thick the snow pack was ahead of us we bailed.

We bailed back to Baldwin lake to pick up highway 18 with the intention of riding that out to the desert and doubling back to the start of route 7. Eric found a cutoff on highway 18 for a dirt route over to the start of route 7. We took that and reach the trail head at about 3:00 pm. Finally, the trail.

Here is a pick of the trail head of route 7. Light snow fall in April.
http://www.castaicdualsportriders.com/g ... temId=5998
Well don't leave us hanging. :ride:
now I'm somewhere I'm not supose to be.......I can see things I shouldn't see

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests