Piutes/Sequoia Moto-Camp Overnighter

Start a Ride here...
DustyRock

Re: Piutes/Sequoia Moto-Camp Overnighter

Postby DustyRock » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:15 am

We still have 10 days. Maybe we can still pull this off. I spent a lot of time & $ getting ready for this ride.
Dusty
1980 Mini Trail 70, DualSport - 3 Speed Auto - Street Legal - Hang On !
Fubar

Postby Fubar » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:19 pm

Didn't look too big the way they descibed it, but seems like wherever there's a fire, the entire area gets locked up by the Forest Service for a good long time. Keep your fingers crossed.

http://www.examiner.com/x-40065-Blogosp ... -On--Video

http://www.visaliatimesdelta.com/articl ... are+County
ericbee

Postby ericbee » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:26 pm

Well, things aren't looking too good in the big trees at the north end of our route:

http://www.inciweb.org/incident/2043/

And it looks like there is also a fire at the south end too:

http://www.kerncountyfire.org/incidents.php?id=418

However, both fires haven't touched the Piutes.... we may still pull off (a portion) of this trip after all - unless the USFS closes that area too. :excuseme:

Anybody up for a trip out to the desert?!?!? Or maybe up to Mammoth/Bodie? (I got some juicy tracks for that area) We might want to come up w/an option or two... Dusty's gotta try out that bag! :up:
jonnyNITRO

Postby jonnyNITRO » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:39 pm

:banghead:
Graphic Design & Photography
Serving the Performance, Custom and Racing industries.
Http://www.jonnynitro.com
jonnyNITRO

Postby jonnyNITRO » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:42 pm

Yeah, at least 1 alternate ride. I missed my Colorado rally. I don't want to miss this too. What about Bass Lake? Is that too far? Truck in or something?
:excuseme:
Fubar

Postby Fubar » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:15 pm

Let's load the bikes in the trucks and go to Mammoth. Drive up early Friday morning, come home on Monday. Pack the camping gear on the bikes and overnight someplace that isn't burning.....
ericbee

Postby ericbee » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:24 pm

Hey guys - We probably need to come up with some options. I sent along an email w/some ideas. I included Terry's Mammoth choice, I like that idea for sure and it's the perfect time of year. Take a look and let me know what you think... :ride:
DustyRock

Postby DustyRock » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:42 pm

Fubar wrote:Let's load the bikes in the trucks and go to Mammoth. Drive up early Friday morning, come home on Monday. Pack the camping gear on the bikes and overnight someplace that isn't burning.....
Not a bad idea. We could stuff the 4 of us in my truck & trailer & cut way down on fuel costs doing so. Mammoth has BluesApalooza that weekend so lodging may be an issue. If we planned ahead we could have gotten a condo (comfy & worth it). http://www.mammothbluesbrewsfest.com/

Or we could go somewhere else.
Dusty
The Regulator

Piutes/Sequoia Moto-Camp Overnighter

Postby The Regulator » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:01 pm

OMG! You guys are killing me with this talk of Bass Lake or Mammoth. Sure you dont want to delay the trip? Just kidding. :ride:
"Duane"
"03" XR400R
"05" CRF 450X "00" XR650R
ericbee

Postby ericbee » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:21 pm

So it looks like we're leaning toward Bass Lake or Mammoth... so many choices. :-

They're both cool areas, and I have just done a track pull from the 'net and found some great tracks in the Bass Lake area - though I don't know too much about the particulars (trail types/conditions, etc.). I also have a lot of tracks for some cool loop routes through Mammoth, Mono Lake, Bodie and Mono Craters - even down in to Eureka Dunes... if I dare mention it. :) I gotta say I'm leaning toward Mammoth area - it's great up there this time of year. :-o

What about you, JN? - You had originally brought up Bass Lake a few weeks ago...which way are you leaning?

------Here's my original email------

OK guys we gotta come up w/some options. I like the idea of touring the Piutes so we can put that on the list but, like I told Dusty, I think there's a very high probability that the FS will close that area to rec travel (I'll call here pretty quick).

So that leaves us w/some other decisions to make just in case:

1 - Goin' up high to avoid the heat - Big Bear (uggh eh Terry?), Mammoth-Bodie or Bass Lake (defer to JN)

2 - Stuff in-between - SMTS Route 6 / Bakersfield to Jean or Route 7 / Big Bear to Henderson or a portion of the Tecate to Gorman route

3 - Then there's the desert - Mojave Loop (Mojave River-Afton-East Mojave), Jawbone, El Paso's, Ridgecrest/Trona... I won't even mention Death Valley, that would be ridiculous.

Any other ideas?
Fubar

Postby Fubar » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:30 pm

I'm up for Bass Lake as long as there's plenty of singletrack. I know there's plenty of fire/logging roads around that area, but it's been a while since I've been up there. Forgot all about that beer festival in Mammoth. Doh!

Let's see how this fire pans out. We still might get lucky. Maybe.
jonnyNITRO

Postby jonnyNITRO » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:27 am

Bass or Mammoth, I don't care.
Dusty - The only issue I see is getting all the bikes on the trailer. I know you guys had some issues with 3 bikes. Now we'll have 4.
Also, what if someone else wants to go with us.? We might just have to bring 2 trucks. :excuseme:
ericbee

Postby ericbee » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:57 am

Mammoth and Bass are only "options" at this point, we can try and salvage a trip up to the Piutes if it stays open. We'll shoot for Monday to make a final-final decision so we have time to work out the kinks if we choose a different route than Piutes. :up: ...unless we hear that it's closed before then.

Dusty - Do you think we could wedge 4 in the trailer? :excuseme:

Oh, this is gonna happen... we WILL ride next weekend. :ride: :D
The Regulator

Postby The Regulator » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:11 am

I have several tracks for both Bass Lake (parents live there) and Mammoth Lakes where I grew up. I may try to make it up to Mammoth Aug 13th or 19th as it will be a little cooler than Bass Lake. Mammoth is always great scenery and cooler but no doubt you will find prob find more singletrack in Bass. Maybe you will get lucky with these fires.
"Duane"
"03" XR400R
"05" CRF 450X "00" XR650R
DustyRock

Postby DustyRock » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:37 am

The plan would be to put 3 bikes on the trailer & one in the back of the truck. Then there would be plenty of room. I also could take the locking box out of the trailer for more room on the trailer but having that locking steel box is a nice feature if we needed to stow things. With the box in 3 bikes isnt an issue. With the box out we may be able to get 4 bikes in it but whats the point ? Easier to load one in the truck. Also if we cant get this ride going for next weekend I have the weekend of the 20th open. I would like to ride Mammoth & Bass Lake this year. I am flexible, no need to rush. A Mammoth moment,third pic. Click on the pic for a better feel of the altitude. :eek: Also Bass Lake looking toward Yosemite.
Attachments
Piute Small.jpg
Piutes
Looking towards Yosemite.jpg
Bass Lake ride Looking towards Yosemite
Yikes.jpg
Mammoth looking down on the Airport Rocky Cliffside narrow trail
Dusty