Piutes/Sequoia Moto-Camp Overnighter

Start a Ride here...
DustyRock

Re: Piutes/Sequoia Moto-Camp Overnighter

Postby DustyRock » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:48 pm

That weekend works for me. Will have to put some new shoes on the mini-trail my back tire is just about history. :lol:
Dusty
1980 Mini Trail 70, DualSport - 3 Speed Auto - Street Legal - Hang On !
jonnyNITRO

Postby jonnyNITRO » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:11 pm

We should plan on eating dinner in town, once we reach Lk. Isabella. That way we can pack less food for the trip. :excuseme:
Graphic Design & Photography
Serving the Performance, Custom and Racing industries.
Http://www.jonnynitro.com
Fubar

Postby Fubar » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:31 pm

Saw the "Revive" thread earlier this week.

Memorial day weekend I rode my street bike up through Caliente/Bodfish and on to Kernville to stop at the FS station and ask about trail closures. Ranger behind the desk was real cool about answering my questions. Said the only closure in the Sequoias was Rincon Trail if I remember correctly. Told me all the trails through the Greenhorns were open, but I didn't ask him about Piute Road. He did give me a number to a ranger who would know more about trial closures, and I called him yesterday. Got his voicemail and left a message saying where we wanted to ride. If I don't hear back from him by noon tomorrow I'll call their main office again.

BTW, the 23rd-24th works for me.
jonnyNITRO

Postby jonnyNITRO » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:59 pm

Good deal.
Thanks for the check up.
Fubar

Postby Fubar » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:18 pm

I called the main office at Kernville today. First I asked about Saddle Springs Road and Piute Road--both are open. Also asked if there was *any* trail closures and was told no.

Let's go, Sports Fans.
ericbee

Postby ericbee » Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:01 am

Hey Guys - OK, OK - I think I can make those dates after all. But I need to clear Friday, is the plan for 23, 24 & 25? :excuseme:

I could also make August 6, 7 & 8 which would be better for me. :up:

Hey Reg - are you in too? :-o
DustyRock

Postby DustyRock » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:28 am

August 6,7,8 works better for me too.
Dusty
jonnyNITRO

Postby jonnyNITRO » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:53 am

If it means more people can ride, I can do those days too. :)
ericbee

Postby ericbee » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:04 am

Great Guys!! - Those dates ( 6,7 & 8 ) will work really well for me. :) Let's go for it! :ride:
The Regulator

Postby The Regulator » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:57 pm

ericbee wrote: Hey Reg - are you in too? :-o
Well it looks like I'm out on this one. Family vacation starts Aug 7th and I'm taking the Motorhome....Uhhhh....North!....and I'm taking the bike! :up:

Ride safe and take lots of pics. I'm bummed but I'll catch ya on the next one! :ride:
"Duane"
"03" XR400R
"05" CRF 450X "00" XR650R
jonnyNITRO

Postby jonnyNITRO » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:15 pm

That's the bummer about doing these rides during the summer months, everybody has different schedules and responsibilities to fulfill.

Regulator - Sorry to see you'll miss the ride, but I'm sure you'll have more fun with your family.

We should get a tally of who's in and who's out. This way we can econo-pack. No need to double up on all items or extras. What I mean is, Eric is bringing his stove, so I don't have to bring mine. I'll have my electric pump and the Slime so Eric won't have to bring his. This should keep us all lighter.
What do you think about that idea? :excuseme:

So far we have:
IN
Terry (Fubar)
Eric
Victor (Dusty)
Me

OUT
Regulator

What about Mark, Falcon, RideBlue, snortin, etc. ??? :-

Eric and I were talking about our first stop. We should be able to pick up some dinner and breakfast in town so we don't need the food supply for that. Sounds like we need to pack: 1st day lunch, 2nd day lunch and dinner, 3rd day breakfast, lunch and who knows... maybe dinner too, depending on what time we make it back into town. (The Rock House has food.)

Am I missing anything?
DustyRock

Postby DustyRock » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:14 pm

Good idea coming up with a plan for food & carrying as few items as possible. i have a tow rope, 2 flat tire irons, a spare 21 inch tube & most of the quick fix items.
Dusty
ericbee

Postby ericbee » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:02 pm

Sounds good guys - Right now the plan is flexible, I could see us spending the first day getting out to the Piutes and riding around there, the second day heading up toward the tree loop (top end of the route) and the third day working our way down Rancheria toward home. Good thing is there are bail-outs if we get in to a time crunch. I am always up for additional route suggestions - just lemme know.

For packing, take a look at the lists I posted earlier - that'll give a good idea of what I bring along.

As far as food, I bring b-fast for at least 2 mornings (instant oatmeal, and of course coffee :eek:) ...and in Fubar case - Pop-Tarts. I usually bring all lunch food (cheese, salami, power bar, whatever) for the entire trip (x3 days) that way I have that covered and maybe a little extra for the unplanned bivouac. I'll probably pack one or two freeze dried (Mountain House) dinners. I have a Jet Boil stove so I can only boil water w/that. I'll bring two bottles of fuel so we have plenty. Most importantly, remember to bring along a cup/bowl and a spork.

I don't recommend bringing any fresh foods (eggs, bacon, steaks, etc), it's a pain - plus you'll need a fry-pan and stove for that. Fresh fruit works though.

As always we'll stop for B/L/D at greasy spoons along the way, and you can always get something like Ramen cup o' slop at the gas stops. :D

Sharing tools is always a good idea, I will bring a small tool kit, extra tube and patch kit along w/a few smaller items. If your fuel range is south of 100-110 miles (edit:revised up), I'd bring fuel bottle(s) JIC.

It might be a good idea to bring something for the chance of rain - we've been having some funky wx lately and it ain't unheard of to get a t-storm up there in August. And of course some trail-side digs like a tent, tarp or bivy.

V - take a look at my pack methods in previous post, maybe you can put a duffle length-wise along backseat/fender? Carrying that gear on your back could be pretty tough.

OK, now for the bad news - this morning my GPS took a dump... after only 3 months. I'm trying hard to figure out what I'm going to do on that... :cry: On a good note, it looks like we'll have everyone else hooked up w/GPS which will be good.

I think the group size we have now (4) is perfect for this trip. :up:
Last edited by ericbee on Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DustyRock

Postby DustyRock » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:49 am

Eric: Call Garmin (thats the worst part) 15-30 min wait to talk to someone. Have your credit card ready. Tell them what is wrong with your GPS. They can send a refurbished unit with warranty to your house within 3 days. Mine cost $127 including shipping, of course mine was literally broken (smashed screen) yours should be covered under warranty. FREEEEEE excluding shipping.
Dusty
jonnyNITRO

Postby jonnyNITRO » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:36 pm

Eric - do you have the name of that 'screen protector' for the Garmin handy. I forgot. You said Terry found it and it works really well.