LA-Barstow-Vegas - Any interest???

Start a Ride here...
stazi64

LA-Barstow-Vegas - Any interest???

Postby stazi64 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:40 am

I'v been wanting to do this ride since I bought my 1st motorcycle (91 DR-650 400lbs!!!) Then I wrecked my Harley, tore my leg all to hell and didn't ride any dirt for 3yrs. Now I have the DRZ and would really like to try and do this ride in Nov (T-Day weekend). But I understand you need a support group... Maybe it'd be cool if we get a few of us as a group with C-DS-R shirts to make the ride and split costs and etc...

Just check'n...
72 chevy 18' Chinnook
03 Dakota 4.7l
2003 Fatboy
05 Suzuki DRZ400s
MichaelXR

Re: LA-Barstow-Vegas - Any interest???

Postby MichaelXR » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:49 am

I'm interested in teaming up for the LA - Barstow - Vegas too. I've got a few 'maybe' riders ready to join me but its nearing time to get solid and ride together a 200+ mile day or two in preparation. I'll be watching this thread ... and looking forward to riding LA - Vegas :banana:
'02 CA Plated XR650R
stazi64

Postby stazi64 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:00 pm

Bump...

Only 8-9 weekends left before the ride...

Wish the heat would let up so I could ride longer than a couple hours...???

Last couple of months with the carb issue, my furthest ride been 30mi or a couple hours.

No where near ready for 200miles back-to-back...!!!!

Help...
72 chevy 18' Chinnook
03 Dakota 4.7l
2003 Fatboy
05 Suzuki DRZ400s
The Regulator

Postby The Regulator » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:58 pm

stazi64 wrote:Bump...

Only 8-9 weekends left before the ride...

Wish the heat would let up so I could ride longer than a couple hours...???

Last couple of months with the carb issue, my furthest ride been 30mi or a couple hours.

No where near ready for 200miles back-to-back...!!!!

Help...
You do want to get in some longer days. I suggest also trying to find some sand to play in. Maybe drop over down into Antelope vally near hwy 138 and find a sand wash. Most of LA B to V is fast stuff. They will usually have to run a couple of washes that are pretty long. 20+ miles but just keep at speed and your good. I wish I was going. I promissed the wifey we would do T-Day in the desert so I'll be out there somewhere. Try your best to be rolling no later than 6:30am and you can just enjoy it! :up:
"Duane"
"03" XR400R
"05" CRF 450X "00" XR650R
stazi64

Postby stazi64 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:25 pm

Yeah...

I've heard it's a good idea to get out early...but it also seems like your at the mercy of the event organizers...

Its got to be a challenge to get to the front of a 400 person line ??? Bike checked and whatnot...

I wanna do the ride...but jeeese...200mi/day ??? That's a 4hr street ride on the Harley with a gas and munchie stop!!!

I'm thinking it's gonna take Kurt Casalli 6-7hrs....Me, I gotta avg 20mph to do it in 10hrs...?

How much time do I throw in for getting lost???

I went on the Ride-for-kids dual-sport back in 2007 put on by D37...the roll chart left much to be desired...I took off behind 4 riders all set-up with KTM's, cool gear, gps's...we took off from lunch and got to the first "turn" we saw ribbon...went 10miles and realized something was wrong...ribbon turned out to be for riders on the "hard route" but they were tuning left not right like we did...anyway we went back to the turn, talked, then I went one way, they went another...I managed to get back to Glen Helen but by following a map on the back of the entry papers...I hope the LA-BA-2-Vegas roll chart is better !

Been looking on Ebay for a Garmin 60... $175 and up !!! They guarantee you won't dump it too ??? I thought eletronics were getting cheaper...?
72 chevy 18' Chinnook
03 Dakota 4.7l
2003 Fatboy
05 Suzuki DRZ400s
jonnyNITRO

Postby jonnyNITRO » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:18 am

With cell phones (GPS) cutting into their profits, the prices are going to stay high. :excuseme:
Graphic Design & Photography
Serving the Performance, Custom and Racing industries.
Http://www.jonnynitro.com
Tenereese

Postby Tenereese » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:33 am

As an alternative for the Garmin 60:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Garmin-GPS-III- ... 257550bca6

This one is old fashion, but very good for what you need.
A lot of people are esspecially looking for that one, because it has not so much "toy-functions" and the basics are working perfect.

Greetings,

Elmar :D
JamPony

Postby JamPony » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:47 am

I'm already in before i saw this thread... anybody have facebook? www.facebook.com/dandelanois
stazi64

Postby stazi64 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:39 pm

Anyone have a route from Palmdale/Littlerock out to Lucerne Valley...???

Seems a good practice run for LB2V...(Skip ride due to 104 degree temp this weekend)

From looking at GoogleMaps...kinda looks like you can just head east on any ole dirt road you come across, but I'd prefer a tried and true route that someone has already taken.

Thanks for any help...

PS: Anyone else interested is welcome...nothing's set in stone but thinking leave Sat AM, get to Lucerne Valley, get a room and check out the local riding area Sun morn, then head back to Santa Clarita...?
72 chevy 18' Chinnook
03 Dakota 4.7l
2003 Fatboy
05 Suzuki DRZ400s
stazi64

Postby stazi64 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:48 pm

Well the idea for riding out to Lucerne Valley might be back on...forecast says only 91...?

Someone's gotta have route from Palmdale/Littlerock over to that area...Victorville, Hesperia, Apple Valley ..???

I just ordered a Garmin 76csx...wish it was here...I can't wait to start developing routes of my own...

Thanks in advance for any info...
72 chevy 18' Chinnook
03 Dakota 4.7l
2003 Fatboy
05 Suzuki DRZ400s
jonnyNITRO

Postby jonnyNITRO » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:19 pm

Sorry. Haven't ridden much in that area.
Fubar

Postby Fubar » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:09 pm

stazi64 wrote:
I just ordered a Garmin 76csx...wish it was here...I can't wait to start developing routes of my own...
That's a good GPS. You'll like it. The buttons are bigger and easier to access when you have your gloves on. And you don't have to worry about breaking the antenna as on the 60 series--I know all about that. Go here and you should find some tracks in the California section.

http://gpsxchange.com/

Register first before you try to download.
stazi64

Postby stazi64 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:58 pm

Sunday...9-30-12: 9am - 7:15pm 171 total miles ...

A few hrs up at Gorman...then over to Old Ridge Route to pick-up Sawmill... over to Lake Hughes Rd. Then down to Ruby Clearwater....over to San Francisquito, then picked-up Francisquito Motorway/Charlies Canyon to Castaic...ate dinner...then back via Charlies Canyon/Francisquito Motorway...Home.

Good workout for LB2V...

A little sore yesterday and today though...

Thanks for the tip on getting tracks...
72 chevy 18' Chinnook
03 Dakota 4.7l
2003 Fatboy
05 Suzuki DRZ400s
jonnyNITRO

Postby jonnyNITRO » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:03 pm

Too bad it's so dry. Those trails are more fun after a good rain.
stazi64

Postby stazi64 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:31 pm

Ok...for Littlerock to Lucerne Valley. Did this ride yesterday. (Don't know if legal or not???)

Just entering Littlerock heading east on the 138...look for dirt-roads to the north...turn left go north til you hit the powerlines. Take a right heading east.

There are 3 powerlines a pair to the north and then a single set to the south. I stayed with pair on the north until I came to a street crossing (pavement) and there were signs saying Edison/SCC Gas No trespassing...so I took a right on the pavement for a 1/4mi until, I came to Ave W (Dirt) hooked a left which took me over to the single set of powerlines....I followed this until it came to a T then took a left (N) over some RR-tracks and kept heading east. This road ended up connecting me back up with the northerly pair but all three Powerlines run parallel for the 1st 20mi or so. Then the single set on the south starts to head off in a south-easterly direction...like off toward Phelen. I stayed with the North pair and they lead me right into Victorville. I putted through V-V and Apple Valley on Bear Valley Rd. I took a left on Rabbit Springs Rd and WORKED my way back to some Powerlines...followed that road all the way to Camp Rock Rd where the AMA/D37 was hosting a Hare & Hound race this weekend.

I hung around there for a hour or so and came back home the same way...227mi 9am - 7:15pm

Think I'm ready for LAB2V...

PS: If you ever do this ride...beware of the "Hidden" 28 to 30" inch wide "riv-lets" (little rivers) which are a foot to 18 inches deep !!! They were fresh from last weeks rain and begging to swallow someones front wheel !!! Flying at one of these at 55-60mph is an eye-opening event...also the various street crossings (dirt and paved) come out of no-where !!!
72 chevy 18' Chinnook
03 Dakota 4.7l
2003 Fatboy
05 Suzuki DRZ400s