Sequoia ride report

Calvin

Postby Calvin » Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:45 am

Greetings from Wisconsin. Wrote this on the plane yesterday.

At the bottom of the Green mountain OHV area we braced ourselves for the ride out of the Sierras to Bakersfield. Two of the bolts that hold the front fender on the Husky had vibrated out! :eek: Thanks to Bill
Last edited by Calvin on Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Calvin
Calvin

Where to next?

Postby Calvin » Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:52 am

Mark: Where to next?

I am addicted now to these long distance rides, this is what dual sports are all about. Sure hooking up trails on your dirt bike is cool, but loading up your camping gear and heading off on a 500 mile dirt loop. Wow! More please
Last edited by Calvin on Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
-Calvin
mark_hochman
Site Owner

Postby mark_hochman » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:28 am

I agree with you Calvin these rides are great. I get a real feeling of adventure and a great feeling of accomplishment. I say we trailer up the 395 north (location TBD)on a Thursday late afternoon, and head out for some adventure riding or head up the coast...

-Mark
Calvin

Postby Calvin » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:59 pm

The desert may be tolerable in September, defiantly doable in October. Seems to be some pretty cool routes running out of and through Ridgecrest, but whats up with this trailer deal?
-Calvin
ericbee

Postby ericbee » Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:06 pm

I'm with Calvin, let's just ride out there. We could take dirt from California City to Ranndsberg then to Ridgecrest. No trailer required! We could even make a destination out of Saline Valley Hot Springs, with jaunts into Death Valley.

We could go out to the East Mojave Scenic Area too.

Now if a trailer has to be part of the plan then Mammoth area north to Bodie and east to Eureka Valley would be cool. There is a major amount of dirt roads and tracks out that way.

I'm gone this weekend but next weekend is open (8-25/26) may be a planning ride for our next far-away adventure?
mark_hochman
Site Owner

Postby mark_hochman » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:53 pm

I guess I need to get a 650 :excuseme:
ericbee

Postby ericbee » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:10 pm

Sometimes the dual-sport gods do make dreams come true!!

This was our last shot of the trip at the Ojai Valley overlook on Dennison Grade. Shahin left us in the dust to meet up with his girl.

Thanks again to everyone for such a great trip - I am really looking forward to our next adventure! :ride:
Calvin

Postby Calvin » Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:27 am

Nice shot Eric. We need to get some more of the CDSR's in there on the next ride.
mark_hochman wrote:I guess I need to get a 650 :excuseme:
I
Last edited by Calvin on Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Calvin
mark_hochman
Site Owner

Postby mark_hochman » Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:30 am

I can do it either way. I just thought we could get further north if we trailered up the 395 :excuseme: .
Dan

Postby Dan » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:07 pm

Awesome guys, nice pics Calvin. I need to do one of these adventure rides with the crew, count me in, would love to do it when its a bit cooler though.
Calvin

Postby Calvin » Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:42 am

Were always cool, at least we think we are. 8)

Do you have bags and stuff for your bike?
-Calvin
Dan

Postby Dan » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:27 pm

No, I'll need to invest.
Question: Did Eric do his own flat repair? Did you guys have a tube or was it a patch? That is very cool stuff.
ericbee

Postby ericbee » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:26 pm

Well, I can't take all the credit! :excuseme:

Everyone really chipped in holding the bike up on the kickstand to make the wheel removal/install pretty easy. Plus some good ideas (and tools) to make the tube and tire install go much easier. :-o

So easy in fact we did it twice! :oops:

Turns out a small thorn that was the tubes downfall. Along with the extra tube (which we used) I also carry a small bottle of Slime tire sealant. Looking back, that may have worked just fine on such a small hole. I also carry a small patch kit. But, for the reasons above, I think the tube replacement was a great lesson (probably just for me though) :-

Oh, and I really like the "Motion Pro" tire irons and small 12v compressor I had w/me. I added an external power jack on the bike for the pump (Thanks Bill!).
elevatorjunky

Postby elevatorjunky » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:13 pm

I am happy to see some more pictures still coming.I will post some more tommorrow.I could definitely go for a long adventure ride at the end of September.As a matter of fact I just got back from Evans flats"that campground with all the single track in it"and besides deer hunting season opened for bow hunting saturday it was superb.And I ended up landing a fleetwood E3 so we camped in style.I didnt even get hit with an arrow.
DR650se"05"
380exc"98"