Sequoia ride report

elevatorjunky

Postby elevatorjunky » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:51 pm

Heres some of us burning up some single track.
We hit some good single track up there.
DR650se"05"
380exc"98"
Calvin

Postby Calvin » Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:19 am

The Piutes are a devils triangle for navigation, it is easy to get lost up there. I once passed a single track intersection five times before I realized you had to go around a tree and bull your way between two bushes to get to the other trail.

Happened again on this trip, we were on the single track trail and hit the main road. All we had to do was go up the main road a bit, through an intersection and pick up the single track trail on the other side. Instead we took another trail before the intersection, wrong way, went through the intersection and took another single track trail, wrong way, doubled back to the main road and took that, wrong way, turned around and spent some time exploring before finally finding the trail. Searching out that intersection almost broke the trip.

It takes some patients navigating through the Piutes and navigating with an old Garmin route that drops points for a 500 point route doesn
-Calvin
mark_hochman
Site Owner

Postby mark_hochman » Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:54 pm

Here is a link to Calvin's pictures :up: . Nice job Calvin

http://www.castaicdualsportriders.com/c ... /index.htm

To link to one of his pictures you can use,
http://www.castaicdualsportriders.com/c ... 030003.jpg

Replacing the jpg # with the picture you want to link to. Make sure you use uppercase P.

Here are the elevation change profiles.
A special thanks to,
DeLorme for his route profiles. :-o

http://www.castaicdualsportriders.com/c ... e-day1.jpg

http://www.castaicdualsportriders.com/c ... e-day2.jpg

http://www.castaicdualsportriders.com/c ... e-day3.jpg

Here is a link to Eric's pictures :up: Nice pics Eric.
Sorry, I do not have the time to insert your captions :(

http://www.castaicdualsportriders.com/e ... /index.htm

To link to one of his pictures you can use,
http://www.castaicdualsportriders.com/e ... G_0333.jpg

Replacing the jpg # with the picture you want to link to. Make sure you use uppercase IMG_.
Calvin

Postby Calvin » Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:33 am

Castaic Dual Sport Riders Make a Turn!!
Mark waiting (hehe) the front wheel on the corner entrance.

The tricky turn entrance. :eek:

Weight shift into the turn Apex.

Calvin smok'n in on Mark's line.

Mark hammering it on the exit!

Eric way ahead and still crossed-up on the turn exit.

Obviously careful documentation of the ride like this slows us down a little.
-Calvin
Aaron8

Postby Aaron8 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:37 am

Wow, Calvin. :) Great pics! Some really nice shots in there.
ericbee

AWESOME TRIP!!!

Postby ericbee » Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:13 pm

Hey Guys - What a fantastic trip that was!

I am looking at all the great photos and I keep day dreaming about all that wonderful single track! :)

Thanks to Calvin for putting such a great route together and Mark for maintaining this site as a meeting place for DS'ers. :-o

I can't forget Bill's quiver of tools that saved the day. And Shahin for the entertainment... and for keepin' us moving!

I keep trying to paste my comments to photos but no such luck :excuseme:

Really looking forward to our next jaunt... Perhaps hauling the bikes out to Moab?
:banana:
Calvin

How to post a pic

Postby Calvin » Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:42 am

Mark has covered this but I am going to give it another shot. Here is an example:

-------EXAMPLE---------
This ride sucks..

I put a backslash after the .jpg to "break the code", the forward slash before the second img needs to be there. Drop the backslash and it will work. To find the URL of the picture surf through one of the indexes and right click on the picture you want and select "properties". A box will pop up with the http path to the picture. Copy that and past into the above "img" string and you should see the pic when you preview the post. Make sure there are no spaces in between the "img" blocks.

--------------------------
Type the above in a post and you should see:
This ride sucks..

I put a backslash after the .jpg to "break the code", the forward slash before the second img needs to be there. Drop the backslash and it will work. To find the URL of the picture surf through one of the indexes and right click on the picture you want and select "properties". A box will pop up with the http path to the picture. Copy that and past into the above "img" string and you should see the pic when you preview the post. Make sure there are no spaces inbetween the "img" blocks.
-Calvin
Calvin

Day Two

Postby Calvin » Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:27 am

Moving on to day 2, here is the DeLorme Topo4 route profile for day 2.
We were planning on ending day 1 at Panorama Campground but fooling around trying to find Piute single track trails and Erics flat delayed us so we spent the night in a campground outside of Wofford Heights. Waaay hot at these lower elevations.

Doubled back into town for breakfast. Wateriest is hustling.

Spent a little time trying to make it up the Cannel meadows trail. I am embarrassed to say this stopped me.
A little more impressive looking back down.
The carnage down below.

Dropping into this bridge wearing 50 lbs of camping gear was a little spooky.
Shahin studies the situation and the Honda kick start strategy.

So
-Calvin
ericbee

Postby ericbee » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:50 pm

Taking up where Calvin left off...

It was back on to the highway - heading upstream along the Kern RIver toward Ponderosa!

After a bit of searching, a locked gate and a quick lunch - Bill was still in the game.

...and much happier after we were back on the dirt.

This was one time I was keeping ahead of Calvin - but only long enough for me to take this quick pic.

We got a lot of attention at the General Store in Ponderosa. Some folks had no idea motorcycles were actually made WITHOUT chrome!!

Our first sighting of the grand Sequoia

Bill was amazed.

The Wild Bunch.

I thought my bike was bigger than that.

As the loop begins to close on our second day. We were heading for that saddle in the center of the photo - toward Panorama Camp.

This was not a cloud but smoke from the Zaca Fire (in S.B. County) being lifted high by the Southern Sierras.

A great sunset shot looking east. Just in front of the farthest ridge is the Kern River drainage. Now I know why they call this Panorama Camp!
Last edited by ericbee on Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ericbee

Postby ericbee » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:28 pm

And a few from Friday's portion of the trip...

I heard Bill had a spat with his exhaust - those relationships are usually doomed from the start!

We're so good we can even ride on water! Cruising over the concrete-topped California Aqueduct

Mark transitioning from the Aqueduct road onto some fun desert single track.

A quick group shot before we jumped back on the bikes - and into the heat!

Hey look - a prehistoric Emoticon!

We each rotated through and took turns directing the other riders. This is the power line road that turns north up toward Tehachapi.

Looking back toward Silver Queen Mine and Highway 14. Palmdale, Lancaster and Edwards AFB are out there somewhere.

Group shot - hammin' it up!

Surrounded by wind-powered generators as we approach Tehachapi.
ericbee

Postby ericbee » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:40 pm

And a few more from Friday's jaunt...

Mark making it look easy.

Wandering through the pines :)

Shahin wondering, "What did I get myself into?" And Bill? He couldn't wipe that grin off his face!

You can just make out Mark's helmet as he winds down off that rocky bluff.

The descent into Lake Isabella - and for some reason we were running about an hour later then we had planned (read: flat tire). This was steep!
Last edited by ericbee on Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ericbee

Postby ericbee » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:56 pm

Sunday, the last day of our journey :cry:
...But we had to RIDE ON!! :ride:

Dawn of a new day - and more dirt riding!

Shahin making tracks.

Calvin moving fast as we get deeper into the pines.

...and deeper - it got dark enough that the lighting made it feel like evening - not 10:00 in the morning!

I tried to get a shot of Mark (standin' still for once!)- then Shahin jumped at the opportunity and snuck by.

Heading back down into the Central Valley, the pine forests start to give way to oak savannah.

He's not trying to reduce drag - Mark just likes to show off that bitchin' shovel of his.

A shot of Calvin cruising on the 166 with the Zaca Fire in the background.

The plume made for a smoky ride up and over Pine Mountain along Highway 33.

As we got closer to Ojai - we left the smoke behind.
Calvin

Postby Calvin » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:25 am

More shots of the ride out of Kern Ville on day two.

We did a lot of blacktop on the route out of Kernville on the way to Camp Nelson. It was kind of cool stopping at the General Store displaying bikes w/o crome.

The plan was to go up hwy 50 through Johnsondale to a Forest Service dirt road 22s83 and take that over to hwy 107 and on up to Camp Nelson. Turns out the Forest Service had 22s83 gated and closed. Big thanks to Bill who found route 22s02 that made the connection over to hwy 107 and gave us a chance to ride a little dirt.

Mark and Shahin on the connecting route.

Bill and Eric

After 50 miles of blacktop we reached Camp Nelson and were a little burned out from the wind and the highway.

Until we ate!!!!!

After 50 miles of BOARING blacktop we were ready for some adventure and hooked up with smts route 3-3. Route 3 is about 320 miles long, starts in Maricopa and ends at Dinky Creek up by Shaver Lake. We were on section 3 Forest Service route 21s94. It was a well groomed dirt rode. I was surprised we didn
Last edited by Calvin on Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Calvin
Calvin

Postby Calvin » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:32 am

Day Three.
The plan for day three was to hook up with a couple of single track trails on the smts route 3 on our way out of the Sierras and hit highway 178 just outside Bakersfield. Gas up and cross the San Joaquin valley, eat at Arvin and continue over to Maricopa to hook up with smts route 1-11. Route 1-11 wanders through the foothills outside Maricopa over to Frazier Park and then climbs our favorite single track trail over mount Liebre to Lake Hughes (smts route 1-10). We ended up blowing off smts route 1 at Maricopa in favor of time and took hwy 33 over to Ojai.

At the Panorama campground the map showed a potentially cool trail down below camp. We went down to check it out.

It was, in fact, a cool trail.

From here we followed smts route 3-3 down to what we had labeled
-Calvin
elevatorjunky

Postby elevatorjunky » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:07 pm

yehaa!
DR650se"05"
380exc"98"