BASS LAKE 2009

DustyRock

BASS LAKE 2009

Postby DustyRock » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:36 pm

The ride started Saturday morning at 7am for most. For us Axo Dude, Bill, Regulator & Dusty we were a bit late on the uptake not leaving the start till about 7:45 after getting our GPS track downloads which turned out to be just fine. Saturdays "A" difficult (we are tough guys) ride was to be around 160 miles in length & Sundays ride turned into right around 90 miles (for two of us) right AXO Dude heh heh ? The beginning of the ride 15 or so miles turned into some confusion as the GPS tracks were not matching up with the names on the roll charts. Also some of the 1st tracks went into a loop that went over the same path & we were at a loss as to which way to go. Man was it DUSTY it was difficult to see ! After some scouting around which was fun anyways we got it together & after that we were off to the "races" did I mention it was DUSTY ? We covered a lot of territory and around the 4 pm point it was getting mighty chilly. We ended the day around 6pm & finished with a hearty BBQ dinner. Sunday was a very skeptical riding day as we were greeted in the early AM with sleet & rain & snow. It let up & we got our GPS tracks for the days ride & after some stern negotiations (me trying to talk AXO Dude into riding) & with the support of Bill & Regulator we were off. With our jackets lined & zipped up to the neck we forged ahead and ran right back into the sleet storm, man that stuff really stings the face so with gloved hand over the opening on the helmet to ward off the sleet that felt like needles & riding about 25 miles an hour we were OK. Upon reaching Bass Lake loop AXO Dude threw in the towel put his "tail" between his legs & went back to the truck leaving the 3 of us to have a blast. In all fairness & not to pick on AXO Dude I have never experienced PMS, but I understand. :P Sundays ride even with the sporadic inclement weather was truly an adventure with visibility sometimes no more than 30 feet or so. With about 70 miles under our belts & the ground covered in snow we were zipping along at a brisk pace trying to get back before it got too late. While riding down the trail (going too fast) I hit something that threw my front tire up & sideways I was able to get her under control & thinking it was a fluke pressed on at about 40 miles an hour. With snow flying & us too I hit another buried "treasure" that did the same thing again. I was surprised as to what the heck was buried that was catapulting my front end up & sideways at the same time. Well I got it under control again rode for another mile or 2 crossed a stream took a couple of pics & waited for my 2 remaining partners so I could snap a couple of action shots of them. After waiting for what was too long I thought I better go back. Turns out that Regulator & Bill also found the hidden "treasures " and down Regulator went tearing off his hand guard and smashing his knee on a rock. We were able to remove what was left of his handguard & at that point Regulator decided it was time for him to turn back, so he rode back jumped on the pavement towards the truck. That left Bill & me to decide to venture off into another 20 miles of who knew what. We were troopers & wanted to finish what laid ahead of us even though the snow was really coming down now. The good thing is we were able at some points see the tracks in the snow of the 5 guys that were somewhere in front of us. Well we made it back & I have to say I was very glad we pressed on as it was a glorious day of riding despite the difficulties & weather.

Dusty
1980 Mini Trail 70, DualSport - 3 Speed Auto - Street Legal - Hang On !
Aaron8

Re: BASS LAKE 2009

Postby Aaron8 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:40 am

Nice! Sounds like you had a good time! You guys sure ride all the good stuff. I'm envious. Thanks for the RR :up:
mark_hochman
Site Owner

Postby mark_hochman » Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:11 pm

Wow, what an adventure :ride: . Thanks for the report Victor :up:
The Regulator

BASS LAKE 2009

Postby The Regulator » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:45 pm

Excellent report Victor! Had a great time. Glad everyone made it out. "D"

"Ride~on!"
"Duane"
"03" XR400R
"05" CRF 450X "00" XR650R
The Regulator

Postby The Regulator » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:25 am

Bass Lake Video! Let it download first to play smooth. Need good sound!

"Enjoy" http://vimeo.com/7157475 :D
Last edited by The Regulator on Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Duane"
"03" XR400R
DustyRock

Postby DustyRock » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:01 pm

:banana: :) Excellent ! Great job Duane ! I had a Wheelie good time :up: I need to go riding ASAP.

This huge rock is steeper than the pic makes it look.
Dusty
mark_hochman
Site Owner

Postby mark_hochman » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:00 pm

Thanks for the great video Duane, awesome job...
Calvin

Postby Calvin » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:48 am

That snow was looking pretty nasty toward the end.
-Calvin
-Calvin
The Regulator

Postby The Regulator » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:18 am

Calvin wrote:That snow was looking pretty nasty toward the end.
-Calvin
Actually the snow wasn't too bad but AXO Dude had a great idea of using latex gloves under the thin riding gloves in a pinch to keep the heat in. :up: .... next best thing to planning! :-
"Duane"
"03" XR400R
DustyRock

Postby DustyRock » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:39 pm

True the snow depth wasnt bad but it sure was cold. The worst was the sleet (frozen rain) owe baby did that sting. The snow made riding pretty neat, traction wasnt bad but the accumulation on the goggles was a pain, having to wipe it off every 10 seconds or so. I think it was Mark Hockman that originally showed us all the glove trick. He probably learned it from Calvin ?
Dusty