Drinkwater to Ruby Canyon

jonnyNITRO

Drinkwater to Ruby Canyon

Postby jonnyNITRO » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:27 pm

Took a trip up to Drinkwater to see what had been shut down and ended up doing a 35 mile loop from DW to Ruby Canyon and back.
I was surprised at how much of the Drinkwater area is still open. The top of Del Sur is closed (although a few riders have gone around the fence)and the road that goes out to Green Valley is also closed.North end of [6N21]. And [6N18] is closed
Drinkwater has a ton of hills to climb along the trials and most of it is expert level. One way to start your ride off with a bang is to park in the staging area (yes, that's my truck) and climb the hill up to Drinkwater.
HillclimbSFC.jpg
Start your ride with a tough hill climb up to Drinkwater.
Then I dropped back down to San Francisquito Canyon and took it up to the trail that cuts across to Lake Hughes Road [5N30]. BTW [5N16] & [5N17] are currently closed.
Up Lake Hughes Road about 5 miles is a turnout (unmarked I might add) on the right side. This is Ruby Canyon. What a blast! This canyon crosses over the creek about 10 times, and boy is the water deep this time of year. Oh and watch for the occasional falling rocks. It seems to be a major problem on this trail.
RubyCynRocks.jpg
Watch out for falling rocks (boulders too).
Once I was back on San Francisquito Canyon, I went straight back to Drinkwater for another spin. This time I took the right side and did the long hill climb Big Red. [3415W03]
LongClimb.jpg
Big Red is a long hill climb. Rocky in the middle too.
And that was it. Beautiful weather, fun trails and no crashes.
Here's a few more picts on the trail.
ViewofSCV.jpg
San Francisquito Canyon
LunchTime.jpg
Lunch time at Drinkwater
:)
Graphic Design & Photography
Serving the Performance, Custom and Racing industries.
Http://www.jonnynitro.com
DustyRock

Re: Drinkwater to Ruby Canyon

Postby DustyRock » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:59 pm

Johnny: Very cool, good report, pics are always a nice touch. I am looking forward to riding DrinkWater & surrounding areas. The hill climbs sound like a good challenge between fireroads. 8) I Have been to Rohwer a number of times under different conditions but need to mix it up some with other areas. I am open for a ride either Sat or Sun this weekend.The weather is supposed to be perfect. :up:
Dusty
1980 Mini Trail 70, DualSport - 3 Speed Auto - Street Legal - Hang On !
jonnyNITRO

Re: Drinkwater to Ruby Canyon

Postby jonnyNITRO » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:41 am

I noticed a lot more rocks along the peaks and hill climbs. It appears that the heavy rains have left the rough underbelly exposed. And this can be tricky to navigate with low tire pressure. You definitely want to check tire pressure prior to doing this ride.
This ride was about 70% dirt and 30% street.
Graphic Design & Photography
Serving the Performance, Custom and Racing industries.
Http://www.jonnynitro.com