Frazier Park ride

jonnyNITRO

Frazier Park ride

Postby jonnyNITRO » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:46 pm

Okay, another fun day on the bikes.
This time we took some easier routes from Hungry Valley to Frazier.
To start with, we met up at Lane Ranch campground around 8:15 am. John E. and I were the first ones there. As I was resting in my truck, I was listening for some bikes to roll up, but they never did. Instead, Eric and Terry rolled in with Victor's truck and trailer. (I think they're a little spoiled now.) Usually they ride those 650 everywhere.
So after we suited up, it was time to head for Gold Hill Rd.
P7020166.JPG
Suiting-up for the ride.
We had a good mix of bikes and a group of strong riders. We were anxious to get started so we jumped onto Gold Hill Trail and followed it to Long Dave Trail.
P7020167.JPG
Eric waiting for me to put my camera away.
I kept snapping some shots as we rode the trails and caught this one looking back.
P7020172.JPG
Destroyed cabin.
I don't know what the history of that tin shed was, but it was by the creek. Could have been a spot for gold-paners back in the day. Anyhow, we continued on West Frazier Trail to the highway and rode it out to Lake of the Woods.
Then Eric took us through town to East Tucuya Ridge for some for sweet trails.
Graphic Design & Photography
Serving the Performance, Custom and Racing industries.
Http://www.jonnynitro.com
jonnyNITRO

Re: Frazier Park ride

Postby jonnyNITRO » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:02 pm

This trail has a ton of rocks on it. Small rocks that just kicked your front tire back and forth. (Whoa, I'm having flashbacks of Big Bear.) Just pretend it's a sand pit and stay on the gass. Theose aren't rocks,... just big chucks of sand.
We rested just after the rocky section to grab a snack and discuss the next trail.
P7020184.JPG
Boys goofing around.
After passing the tricky, left-handed, uphill with a big tree root in the middle, turn (John E. pay attention here) we crossed the top of the mountain through a forest of dead trees.
P7020188.JPG
Dead Tree forest.
That would be really creepy at night. Which reminds me, I need to try some night riding soon.
After that, we blew pass the next trail and rode through a forest of live trees. (It was a nice contrast.)
P7020189.JPG
Live Forest

Eventually, Terry and John E. realized they were heading the wrong way. On their way back, they found me snapping a few more shots... Frazier Valley.
Untitled_Panorama3.jpg
Frazier Valley
We met up with the others, back up at the trail head, and dropped down the mountain.
Last edited by jonnyNITRO on Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jonnyNITRO

Postby jonnyNITRO » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:14 pm

This was a fun downhill. With 180 degree turns filled with tree roots and loose rocks. Yeah! :)
So, I had to stop to grab another shot. (I need a video camera real bad.) It would be so much easier. I can never stop in the best parts to get a shot.
P7020193.JPG
Bonsai !
So once we reached the pavement, we stopped in at Coffee Cantina for lunch. They've got great sandwiches and apparently great coffee too. It was nice that we could park our bikes next to the dinning area too.
P7030194.JPG
Lunchtime
We rode back to Lockwood Valley. Here's another shot.
P7020174.JPG
Lockwood
Next, it was back on the trail and across Whata Trail. (Whata name for a trail) Fun stuff here in through the trees.
jonnyNITRO

Postby jonnyNITRO » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:27 pm

Another slippery, dusty, rocky and twisty uphill climb. Eric is tearin' it up!
P7030196.JPG
Slippery Uphill
I spotted a ranch down below when we came out from the trees. (It even comes with its own lake.)
P7030207.JPG
Private Ranch
And then it was back into the trees again for miles of bar-bangin' fun. Much of the Tejon trail is whooped-out and doesn't make for a fun ride. But we found plenty of cool places to wind through that were challenging and fun.
P7030208.JPG
Bar-bangin' trees
By the time we reached the last half of the Tejon trail, we were disappointed... that the fun ended so soon.
jonnyNITRO

Postby jonnyNITRO » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:43 pm

This is one of the fun parts of the Tejon Trail, beside avoiding hitting the tree just a few turns before, the steep ledge leaves you with little variance in your navigation. Oh, And watch that the tree roots don't push your bars out and send you over the ledge.
Untitled_Panorama6.jpg
ledge rider don't fall
So that was the end of our ride.
NOT! :lol:
It was still early (3:00 pm) and we wanted to enjoy the perfect weather as much as we could. Oh, did I mention that we only saw 3 other riders on the trails THE WHOLE DAY! And the temp was around 80 degrees all day. :banana:
So, we left for Vic's Cat Trail and then to Badlands and then down Freeman, to take the long way around back to camp. No broken bikes and no injuries.
It was a great day of riding. Victor (the whoopster), John E. good riding with you. (Good luck in NY), Terry (how's your leg), and Eric (on the gas). I am always amazed at what Terry and Eric can do on those huge 650s. (At least this time they had knobbies.)

Here's some more picts... until next time.
Untitled_Panorama2.jpg
Looking Back
Untitled_Panorama4.jpg
The Forest
DustyRock

Postby DustyRock » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:56 pm

John: Great RR ! :) It definanetly was a good day to ride. Looking forward to maybe a bit longer ride next time. Love those single track rides. The terrain was challenging but nothing over the top made it for a fast paced day. Yeah man those whoops on 122 were deeeep. It was difficult to double them with those big loose rocks strewn about. Remembering back one of those rocks spit my front end out sideways over a whoop & headed me right for a tree. The front tire came down in the nick of time & was able to control it missing the tree by inches. WHEW !! Yes a helmet mounted video would be a nice addition. Nice picture taking !!

Thanks
Dusty
1980 Mini Trail 70, DualSport - 3 Speed Auto - Street Legal - Hang On !
jonnyNITRO

Postby jonnyNITRO » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:00 pm

See you on the trail again sometime soon. :ride:
Fubar

Postby Fubar » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:37 pm

Another excellent report. Hope you get that video camera before the Sequoia trip, John.
Fubar

Postby Fubar » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:25 pm

jonnyNITRO wrote: So, I had to stop to grab another shot. (I need a video camera real bad.)
http://epicstealthcam.com/HTML/epic_hd_kit.html
jonnyNITRO

Postby jonnyNITRO » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:00 pm

Cool cam. Thanks.
I've got a few choices.
Just have to figure which is the best one for me.