Kennedy/Troy Meadows

ericbee

Kennedy/Troy Meadows

Postby ericbee » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:38 am

This past weekend Nitro, Fubars and I made a quick trip up to Kennedy & Troy Meadows. Fubars and I rode up on our DR's and made are way via Antelope Valley/Piutes/Lake Isabella and Chimney Peak Road. That route in itself was pretty epic, but soon found out that both the Piutes and Troy/Kennedy Meadows were single track heaven! :) Nitro trucked his bike up and met us in the Troy meadows campground.

On Friday, Fubars and I bounced around on some single track trails in the Piutes (Grouse) and really would like to explore that area a bit more.. but we had to keep moving to make sure we'd be at Kennedy/Troy by nightfall.

On Friday night we met up with Nitro at the campground and, after a chilly night in camp, spent Saturday riding 35+ miles of CONTINUOUS single track in the Kennedy/Troy Mdws area... quite an epic ride! Fubars banged his ankle pretty good toward the end of the day so we headed back home early Sunday via Sherman Pass/Kern/Caliente-Bodfish/Tehachapi/AV.

That place was amazing and we only scratched the surface of single track trails - in both the Piutes and Kennedy/Troy.

I'd love to try and get up there (especially Kennedy/Troy) again in the next few weeks, before the snow starts to fall!!

I'll post some pics now and then a few more this evening....
Attachments
photo.jpg
In-between single track trails in the Piutes
photo.jpg
Friday evening on Chimney Peak Road
jonnyNITRO

Re: Kennedy/Troy Meadows

Postby jonnyNITRO » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:01 pm

That was a blast! It seems like non-stop single track up there. And it has to be some of the best around. Trails are clearly marked (at least the ones close to camp) and the trails are challenging, even the intermediate ones.
I will definitely make my way back up there. I've some unfinished business in the Golden Trout Wilderness area... :lol:

I'll post some picts too.
Graphic Design & Photography
Serving the Performance, Custom and Racing industries.
Http://www.jonnynitro.com
jonnyNITRO

Postby jonnyNITRO » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:48 pm

Here's some shots I took while on the ride. (Not too many as I was having too much fun.) :ride:
OsoMeadow.jpg
A shot of one of the beautiful meadows that you pass by.
Cave.jpg
A large cave above us was beggin' to be explored. But we passed by.
JackassPeak.jpg
JackAss Peak Trail end
jonnyNITRO

Postby jonnyNITRO » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:56 pm

I don't know how Eric and Terry made those trails riding the beasts they have but most everyone there has enduros or lightweight 2-strokes for the technical stuff, including me and my 250R.
Little250.jpg
My little WR250R
Eric called it a mountain bike, but I get around on it.

And of course there's always time to rest.
Rest.jpg
Resting
And the size of the fallen trees was amazing. Here's a shot of Eric cruzin' through a cut tree.
CutTrees.jpg
Some of the trees had to be recent falls because we had to ride around them. Nobody cut through them yet. It makes for an interesting obstacle. (Watch those bars!) :)
jonnyNITRO

Postby jonnyNITRO » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:15 pm

A few more shots...
Green creeks, trees,...
Split.jpg
Riding along the creek
and rocks...
RockyTrail.jpg
Some very big rocks to ride over and through
there's something for everybody at Troy. :banana:

Eric - After you guys left on Sunday, I rode Mahogany Creek Trail and Rattlesnake Trail. It was a gnarly ride for sure. (Black Diamond)
The drag is that Rattlesnake is a deadend. A deadend! After 10 miles of trail I had to turn back! Agggghhh! :banghead:
On top of it all the signs on Rattlesnake Trail are misleading. I thought there was an out at the end, but it lead me to a since overgrown path into the Golden Trout Wilderness for another 5 miles. Shhhh.
It lead me to a steep drop off into a canyon that I had a very difficult time escaping from. Slippery as heck with all the pine needles on the ground and soft soil. On top of it all, there were dozens of fallen trees on the trail so I had to ride around them or over them. It definitely was not one of my better moments of riding. :-
It took me an hour to climb that hill and get back to the Rattlesnake Trail.
The whole day on Sunday, I so NO riders on the trails. (Mahogany + Rattlesnake)

By the time I got back to camp, most of the others were gone. I loaded up and bailed, having exhausted my body beyond my expectations. So, 34 miles more of advanced trails takes my mileage of single track riding nearly 70 miles for the weekend. YEAH ! :up:

BTW: I left my camera and bag in the truck on Sunday so no picts. :excuseme:
But, the trail was actually quite fun to ride. Half a dozen creek crossings eventually turned into river crossings with water about 2 feet deep and 10 -15 feet wide. I hit those hard on the way home to cool myself off and boy did that do the trick. I was freezing by the time I reached the campground. Next time I'll take somebody with me, so they can keep my in line.

Here's my boot after Rattlesnake Trail...
Boot.jpg

I will be going back, for sure. :D
jonnyNITRO

Postby jonnyNITRO » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:19 pm

And that steak dinner at Grumpy's was great. :up:
jonnyNITRO

Postby jonnyNITRO » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:22 pm

Oh, and another thing. Since I saw no other riders on the trail, I did see 4 large deer, and one baby while a riding. And a wake(group) of buzzards over my head.
ericbee

Postby ericbee » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:02 pm

John - You're right on the single track... there were some really tight tracks on those trails w/only inches to spare on each side of the bars!! :eek: You wrench that 250 around like it weighs 50 pounds... and made it look easy.

I have to say I envy that adventure you had on Rattlesnake Trail... but I'm glad I didn't go!

Here are a few more pics... I can't remember the locations of all the shots, but they do give a sense of how much fun single track there is up there.... let's go back in the next few weeks!!! :up:
Attachments
IMG_0952.JPG
Does this even need a caption?
IMG_0949.JPG
Fubars taking a break.
IMG_0948.JPG
Steep trails up ahead.
IMG_0947.JPG
Nitro gettin' back on the trail.
IMG_0945.JPG
Another meadow along the way.
IMG_0944.JPG
...and awesome views too...
IMG_0942.JPG
John & Terry at the meadow lunch stop.
IMG_0941.JPG
Ahh, no need to mention how much single track there is up there ;)
IMG_0935.JPG
You can barely make out Fubars up ahead there.
IMG_0934.JPG
Single track through the pines!
IMG_0933.JPG
Nitro at our first stop along Beach Trail
jonnyNITRO

Postby jonnyNITRO » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:04 am

Cool picts Eric, thanks for shooting. :)
I'll take more pictures next time.