Sequoia Challenge 2011

jonnyNITRO

Sequoia Challenge 2011

Postby jonnyNITRO » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:48 pm

Well, I survived another epic ride. Wow! That ride was both fun and scary. I hooked up with some other riders Dave and RiderX and later on Howy and had a great day of riding in the Sequoias.

On a personal note, the ride was not well organized and quite a few people were disappointed as to how it panned out. The GPS maps were not ready 'till morning and the system wouldn't communicate with my GPS so I had only the rollchart and no case. Luckily my riding partners had one or the other. Having said that... the ride itself was spectacular. Beautiful forests, hills of grass and rocky cliffs.. oh and let's not forget about the cows and their smelly piles on the road.

We started on Sat morning about 7:15 and took the fire roads to the top of the first mountain and broke off in search of some good trails. The first problem we faced was a downed Oak tree that wasn't on the map. While Dave led us up the side of the hill and around the tree, the others turned around in search of another route. You can see that on the Clip1 video. (I'll process them and post tomorrow)

Fire roads rutted out and some cool trails until we reached the top. What a view! :up:
We headed back down the hill and found the first easy/hard split. The hard route was supposed to go along the Kern river via a very narrow single track. Well, it was narrow alright and cut along the edge of a steep hill and looked more like a goat trail.
Speed was not helpful here, but accuracy. Your tire had to ride right in the center of the groove, buried in the tall grass. Oh,yeah, there was tall grass too. Sometimes you couldn't even see the trail when the wind blew the grass sideways. So you just hoped you had planned for the right trail direction for the next twenty feet. :ride: Very challenging to say the least. :ride:
Then there was the occasional boulders on the trail too. If I remember right this was called the Kern Trail. If you made any mistakes you could drop down 100 feet into the river below. You can see this on Clip3 & 4.
:eek:

Finally we found our way to lunch around 1:00 PM. We got a small amount of gas from the organizer and bought our own meal in the restaurant (Forgot the name). About this time my head head was throbbing and I felt sick. I had to get food in my stomach and Dave gave me some asprin.
Lunch over and feeling much better, we hit some really fun trails on the way back. Unfortunately the memory card was full so no more videos after lunch. :banghead:
Anyway, these trails were much easier and we had a blast ripping through the woods. Oh, if I didn't mention it before, these guys were fast! It was like a 7 hour race riding with these guys. I usually don't ride that fast, but they were moving. You can see it some of the video, as we start out Dave & RiderX break away and I find myself chasing them the whole time. (Howy was fast too, and with no upper body protection either.)
They all started racing each other through the woods after lunch. Amid the dust storm I had decide to fall back or fall down. You know what's it's like with the sun in your eyes looking trough a dust cloud... can't see much of the trail at all. I dropped into a few unseen ruts and tree roots hidden under that layer of dust that almost sent me to the ground on more than one occasion. It was still a ton of fun. I remember thinking to myself "I can't believe I'm riding up here, in this beautiful country today."
We rode though these long tunnels of Manzanita bushes (very cool looking and I did stop to grab one shot real quick). We ended the ride with a gnarly down hill on Bradshaw Jeep Trail. I was not going to take my hands off the bars to grab any shots here either but it has enormous ruts down both sides. I found myself leap-frogging from one side and then the other to avoid dropping into the 3-foot ruts.
And I though Miller Jeep trail was bad. :excuseme:
Even though we all went down at some point in the ride, we made it back healthy and no broken bones or bikes. Looking forward to riding with these guys again.

Another successful ride in the books for 2011. Next... Big Bear ! :banana:

POSTING VIDEOS TOMORROW !

- Nitro
Last edited by jonnyNITRO on Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graphic Design & Photography
Serving the Performance, Custom and Racing industries.
Http://www.jonnynitro.com
Fubar

Re: Sequoia Challenge 2011

Postby Fubar » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:53 pm

Nice.
jonnyNITRO

Postby jonnyNITRO » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:43 pm

Here's a few picts...
sign-ups.JPG
Sign-ups didn't start until late Friday evening. GPS files were not ready and when we finally got them (Sat morn) their computers could not transfer the tracks to my Oregon. Huh? It's a new Garmin. Oh well. :-

This is the big Oak we found.
big oak down.JPG
On top of the mountain. What a view. Dave & RiderX stopped just long enough for me to get their picture.
Dave and RacerX.JPG
...and of course this is the only proof I have that I was actually there.
proof I was there.JPG
Last edited by jonnyNITRO on Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jonnyNITRO

Postby jonnyNITRO » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:55 pm

This is at the end of the Kern River trail. A welcome view and good fishing I hear.
the Kern.JPG
This is where everyone stopped for lunch and refueled. We met up with Howy just before lunch. We didn't get much gas at the refueling truck either and I was already on reserve.
Greenhorn lodge.JPG
This is where I stopped to grab a quick photo having already run through several of these tunnels.
Manzanita tunnel.JPG
This ride had some really cool trails.
Fubar

Postby Fubar » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:28 pm

I've been to that place to eat once. It's off the 155. Waitress was hip. I forgot the name of it as well.
mark_hochman
Site Owner

Postby mark_hochman » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:48 pm

Thanks JN, great :ride: report
jonnyNITRO

Postby jonnyNITRO » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:00 pm

Here's a few more pix from the videos...
Screen shot 2011-06-13 at 5.41.49 PM.png
Screen shot 2011-06-13 at 5.30.45 PM.png
Screen shot 2011-06-13 at 5.30.20 PM.png
Screen shot 2011-06-13 at 5.26.12 PM.png
Screen shot 2011-06-13 at 5.25.44 PM.png
jonnyNITRO

Postby jonnyNITRO » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:01 pm

Screen shot 2011-06-13 at 5.43.09 PM.png
Screen shot 2011-06-13 at 5.45.01 PM.png
jonnyNITRO

Postby jonnyNITRO » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:04 pm

jonnyNITRO

Postby jonnyNITRO » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:19 pm

and the others...

http://s1107.photobucket.com/albums/h38 ... _Clip3.mp4

http://s1107.photobucket.com/albums/h38 ... _Clip4.mp4

http://s1107.photobucket.com/albums/h38 ... _Clip5.mp4

That's all I got.
Thanks to Dave & RiderX for a great weekend of riding. Would have been dull riding by myself. I definitely learned a lot from them too. Looking forward to BB Run.
Fubar

Postby Fubar » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:58 pm

Epic.
DustyRock

Postby DustyRock » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:39 pm

John: As usual nice RR. Those trails looked fantastic. A bonus the dust wasnt too bad. I see what you mean about the sidehill action. That can get old after awhile. That one section where you were sidehilling having to go up & between the rocks with the river down below gave a pucker factor just watching. I have been thru the manzanita tunnel before, very cool. Thanks for taking the time to do the RR & vids, the Hero is a nice touch.
Dusty
1980 Mini Trail 70, DualSport - 3 Speed Auto - Street Legal - Hang On !
edls

Postby edls » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:27 am

Looked like a great ride, wanted to go but bike is not ready yet, does anyone have the roll charts still ?? or GPS coordinates If you don't want them I would be willing to pay postage for them so a few of us can set up our own ride.... :banana: looked like the Kern Canyon trail I have been on it several times practicing, I rode street motors for years and have just gotten into Dualsport with my purchase of a XL350r 1984 w/10,000 miles on it, rebuilding/replacing all the cables, seals, gas lines etc so hopefully no problems when im in the woods playing....... :eek:
ednpatc@yahoo.com or fax @ 6618525884
Thanks guys for the all the reports and articles looks like its going to be a riding summer.... :ride:

PS: don't forget if anyone is interested a lookout run in the Sequoias....
jonnyNITRO

Postby jonnyNITRO » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:59 pm

I still have the rollchart. I does me no good since I don't have the box anyway. The ride had us pass through a few closed gates and private ranches, so I'd be willing to bet you can't do the ride exactly like we did.
edls

Postby edls » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:29 am

If you don't want it ..... I have access to some of those gates, I would be willing to pay your postage if you would send it...
POB 1408 Lake Isabella, CA 93240 or fax 661-852-5884
Thanks for the time hope to get together with you guys this summer I have been setting up a ride for the lookouts if anyone is interested, I am hoping to do a little trail riding and repair this summer with the forest service trail/bike crew if anyone is interested in that too, the High Country is still snowed in with 6-8" drifts so hopefully pretty soon we can get up there...