Kennedy Meadows ride 2012

jonnyNITRO

Kennedy Meadows ride 2012

Postby jonnyNITRO » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:20 pm

Well, we started out at my place. Everybody showed up around 1:00 pm and we packed up our bikes and gear and set out for KM. After a few gas/food stops we found ourselves in Pearsonville around 4:00 pm. (maybe it was 4:30). We all grabbed a sandwich from Subway and headed up 9 mile canyon.
The roads were vacant this time, not as much traffic as I expected. That turned out to be situation for the whole weekend. Half of the camp sites were empty and many of them were basic campers (no bikes). :excuseme:
Better for us. We unloaded all our gear and set up camp. We then set to tuning our bikes (or testing) to make sure everything was a go for Saturday. I was surprised to find how easy my adjustments were to dial in the carb. That JD kit works great!
John got his Yamaha running better and Falcon and Fubar were already set.
Ate a meal and sat around the firepit till late. Temps were much higher this trip as we sat around the fire in shorts and t-shirts.
Someone has some picts here I know. Post them up.

Saturday morning, we got all the bikes warmed up and headed for the trails around 8:00 am. We took Mahogany Creek trail first thing. This trail has enough rocks to wake you up so if you're not ready, you better wake up fast. Then the decision was made to take Rattlesnake all the way to the end. (10 miles out to a deadend) Who's decision was that?

I really enjoy that trail. It has a combination of slides, rocks, boulders, sand, trees, grass, creek crossings and open areas, but it is a long ride. The creek was a little higher than I remember it from a few years back. The temps were a little higher too (in the upper 80s), but it was beautiful weather. I had my GoPro camera running and got most of the trail on video. I'll post that soon...
No major mishaps, just a few hang-ups in the boulder sections and everybody was having a great time.
As I came around the corner of a small uphill I found a deer and her fawn. They were standing in the middle of the trail and I stopped to let them walk away.
At first, they just stood there and looked at me, then as Terry rode up behind me, they began to leave. We followed them over the hill and they disappeared into the bushes.
The trail went on and on with plenty of obstacles to overcome and creek crossings to keep it interesting. Some of these crossing were 10 - 12' wide and 1.5 - 2' feet deep. But it was nice, cold water and refreshing when you hit it fast enough.

We stopped at nearly the end of the trail for lunch. Falcon pointed out a bear across the creek and as I looked in that direction, sure enough a black bear was walking away from us behind a tree and into the brush. He was a good size bear too from that distance. I was hoping he didn't want to come back to fish anymore while we were eating lunch.
:eek:

Once John and Fubar caught up to us we went down to the creek to cool off and eat lunch. After dunking our heads in the water and soaking our jerseys, our core temps dropped dramatically. Just lay back on one of the large boulders in the creek and rest a bit after lunch. It was all worth it to get that far and relax in the creek.

By this time we had only seen 4 or 5 riders on the trial. So we continued a few hundred more yards to the end of Rattlesnake trail and turned around to head back. We came across a few more riders toward the end and they looked to be having fun too.

We took it slower on the way back, parked in the shade of some trees and stopped at a few more water crossings to cool off (even snapped a few shots as the guys plowed through the water).
Once we got back to the beginning of the trail most everyone wanted to head back to camp for some refueling (drinking fluids) and rest. So we took the highway back and got to camp after a 5 hour ride.
It totaled about 35 miles.
The plan was to go back out at 5:00 pm. but when I came back from the restroom everybody was asleep. So, I took off toward Beach trail and rode that up to Albanita trail which crossed over to Jackass trail and then back to camp. It was a 20 mile loop and by the time I got back everybody was awake.
We had another great dinner, meat meat and more meat... oh and more corn-on-the-cob. Mmmmm. :up: Falcon and John brought some good food.
Dessert was a chocolate chip Pop Tart courtesy of Fubar.
Everybody slept well that night, again temps only dropped down to the 50s at night... nice.
Packed up all the gear on Sunday morning and headed for home. John had an 8 hour drive ahead of him so we wanted to make sure he got an early start.
It was a good weekend of friendship and riding. Nobody got hurt and that is the main thing.

...until next time. :ride:
Graphic Design & Photography
Serving the Performance, Custom and Racing industries.
Http://www.jonnynitro.com
Fubar

Re: Kennedy Meadows ride 2012

Postby Fubar » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:22 pm

jonnyNITRO wrote:
Who's decision was that?
:excuseme:
DustyRock

Postby DustyRock » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:19 pm

Fubar wrote:
jonnyNITRO wrote:
Who's decision was that?
:excuseme:
Haha We all know who :up: :)

Good job on making it to the end. Not sure if my Mini Trail would have been able to make those creek crossings it doesnt have lots of clearance, but when necessary I can carry it :D It might have made it, especially with the new trail wing 3.5 x 10 on the back. :D Amazing how versatile that bike is.
Dusty
1980 Mini Trail 70, DualSport - 3 Speed Auto - Street Legal - Hang On !
jonnyNITRO

Postby jonnyNITRO » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:13 am

I have seen a few fishermen at the end of Rattlesnake with those Minis. :D
jonnyNITRO

Postby jonnyNITRO » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:14 am

BTW - I am working on the videos. Posting is coming soon. The processing time is a killer. :down:
jonnyNITRO

Postby jonnyNITRO » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:03 am

Okay, first video is finally done processing. This is Mahogany Creek trail. Note the sections of water that make the rocks on the trial slippery. The video doesn't show the second section of the trail, but you get the idea I'm sure.
https://vimeo.com/46305288
jonnyNITRO

Postby jonnyNITRO » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:15 am

Sorry for the poor quality. When they (Vimeo) compress the video on their servers, the quality drops.
Falcon, Fubar, John if you want full quality vids PM me. I'll burn 'ya a disc.
DustyRock

Postby DustyRock » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:43 pm

John: Videos are great. Cant wait to see the RattleSnake version. The video would have been more fun if I was out front on the 70 roosting or doing a can can and a fender grab. :D
Dusty
jonnyNITRO

Postby jonnyNITRO » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:02 am

The video would have been more fun if I was out front on the 70 roosting or doing a can can and a fender grab.
That's for sure. Maybe next time you can come with us and I'll get some video of that. :lol:
jonnyNITRO

Postby jonnyNITRO » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:07 am

Hey Falcon, I know you have some shots on your camera. Post them up. :up:
jonnyNITRO

Postby jonnyNITRO » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:02 pm

While Falcon is working on getting his pictures posted, here's a link to Rattlesnake trail pt2. Apparently YouTube is still processing the pt1 file.

http://youtu.be/Dp80F29SFnM
jonnyNITRO

Postby jonnyNITRO » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:55 pm

Still waiting for pt. 1 of the video. Sorry. :banghead: Not my fault.
DustyRock

Postby DustyRock » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:47 pm

John: I hardly recognized that trail. The fire opened it all up and made it look foreign. It was always a trail that seemed closed in and in a canyon. WOW what a difference.
Dusty
stazi64

Postby stazi64 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:37 pm

Sounds awesome...

One of these days...Waiting on an emp needle and other assorted jets from Jets-R-Us.

While you guys were on your way home Sunday, I was up at Gorman watching the Prospectors/AMA MX races. I mostly went to see the Senior, 40+ guys race... There were about 10 guys riding like they were 20, full on whips etc...then there were 20 guys that were fast but you could see their heads snapping down when they landed most of those jumps...pretty sure they weren't happy campers!!! Then there were 5-6 guys riding around the track...not racing; this is the group I would have been in.

Went to Gorman, ate then went home the back way via Pine Valley Hyw...or whatever its called. I wasn't padded-up so was taking it easy. Hooked a right Hughes Lake Rd then, I couldn't hold back anymore and cut across Ruby Clearwater...told myself to take it slow and easy. I didn't anticipate the bike running so crappy...I had 2 options 1/4 throttle...or WOT !!! It was a long 10mi back to San Francisquito !!! Once I got to the big clearing, and started down toward San Fran...the bike started acting a little better but still not normal.

Got home and ordered the emp needle...4 to 6000 ft needle. Hopefully this will cure my mid-range issues, then I'll consider KM or a Kernville run...Sorry I missed it !!!
72 chevy 18' Chinnook
03 Dakota 4.7l
2003 Fatboy
05 Suzuki DRZ400s
jonnyNITRO

Postby jonnyNITRO » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:49 pm

Part 1 is finally ready.
Sorry for the delay and the quality.

http://youtu.be/6NOp9oCo1Uo