SMTS route 1: Mexico to Gorman

Start a Ride here...
Calvin

SMTS route 1: Mexico to Gorman

Postby Calvin » Tue May 13, 2008 6:08 am

On CDSR day rides the chat invariably turns to discussion of a multi-day dual sport ride on the holly grail of routes, SMTS rt-1 Mexico to Gorman. We’ve talked about this for years. THIS JUNE TENTH’ WE ARE GOING TO DO IT!!!

Right click and "Save to Desktop" then Load this into Google Earth
http://www.castaicdualsportriders.com/rt-1.gpx

:banana: :banana: ********** WELCOME TO THE MAIN EVENT ***************:banana: :banana:

Ever since I stumbled across Countdown’s State Motorized Transport System (SMTS) on the net I have been completely infatuated with the idea of long distance off-road travel. This ride, Countdown’s SMTS route from the Mexican boarder (U.S. Side) to Gorman, has been THE ride! Five hundred and fifty miles of California Coast range. The route runs through Ocotillo Wells, Borrego Springs, Julian, Desert Hot Springs, Big Bear, Lake Arrowhead and Wrightwood. All of the major scenic spots in the California Coast range connected by dirt trails on a GPS route. Unbelievable! Countdowns SMTS route one ends with a ride through Rowher Flats and up 7n23 to the single track off Mount Liebre and on into Gorman, a ride the CDSR group knows well.

While the route goes into some remote country a 50 to 60 mile ride from pretty much anywhere along the route will get you to a major population center for gas, food and parts. That makes logistics along the route much easier than some of the other rides we have done. Still, the route is 550 long. We need to play it safe, expect some trouble and have the camping gear needed to sustain use for a week on the trail. We also need to plan on a stopover day somewhere for showers, rest, a couple of good meals and a way to recover the schedule because somehow we always end up running behind.

Five hundred and fifty miles on dirt trails is going to take us at least five days plus a day to transport bikes down to San Diego. You might as well plan on a week off of work. With a week off, and two weekends on either side, we have nine days to figure out the path along the SMTS route from the Mexican boarder back to home.

Are you in?[/img]
-Calvin
ericbee

Re: SMTS route 1: Mexico to Gorman

Postby ericbee » Tue May 13, 2008 6:37 am

Calvin wrote:Are you in?
An epic trip for sure, I've always wanted to ride this "Holy Grail" of dual sporting! I'm in!! :)
JOERUSSO

Postby JOERUSSO » Tue May 13, 2008 2:50 pm

Im so so in :) :banana: :ride:
The Regulator

Postby The Regulator » Tue May 13, 2008 4:43 pm

Interested - need to check work schedule. :ride:

Anyone give me a hint on how to load this into Google Earth? :excuseme:
"Duane"
"03" XR400R
"05" CRF 450X "00" XR650R
Calvin

Postby Calvin » Tue May 13, 2008 6:54 pm

Right on Joe!

Duane:
File -> Open.

No really. File -> Open and surf down the location where you stored the gpx file. When GoogleEarth opens a gpx file it only shows the waypoints for some reason. If you click on the GPS device in the left hand application window, un-click waypoints and click the check box on tracks then they will show up – you may have to zoom in some to see them.

You can also fly over the route by clicking on the play button at the bottom of the application window on the left hand side. In the gpx track I posted there are two “pathsâ€
-Calvin
Scott

Postby Scott » Wed May 14, 2008 1:38 pm

Calvin,
Which bike do ride on this route? Sounds like fun. Maybe next year.
Scott
DR650
mark_hochman
Site Owner

Postby mark_hochman » Wed May 14, 2008 3:12 pm

Well the timing is not good for me on this one. Work is very busy due to the possible actors strike at the end of June. It should be a great trip, make sure you take lots of pictures.
Calvin

Postby Calvin » Wed May 14, 2008 6:43 pm

Scott wrote:Calvin,
Which bike do ride on this route? Sounds like fun. Maybe next year.
For the most part the route is fire roads and a big GS bike would be good. But, flying over it in GoogleEarth, there are a few sand washes, some single track between Big Bear and Lake Arrowhead and the single track off Liebre into Gorman.

I'm riding the Husky.
-Calvin
The Regulator

Postby The Regulator » Wed May 14, 2008 7:51 pm

Calvin,

Have you guy's nailed down the dates? Is it leaving on the 14th? or?...Trying to work out the details. Approx 6ish days?

Thanks "D"
"Duane"
"03" XR400R
Calvin

Postby Calvin » Thu May 15, 2008 6:47 am

Eric and I are working out the ride plan. Should have it posted this weekend. The ride plan is based on leaving June 14 unless that doesn't fit someones schedule.
-Calvin
ericbee

Random Thoughts...

Postby ericbee » Thu May 15, 2008 7:45 am

I wanted to send everyone the link below to our "recommended camping equipment list" post we did a while back - it may help with planning.

Also, we may want to bring a few b-fasts (i.e. oatmeal), lunches (i.e. trail mix, cheese sticks) and probably at least one freeze-dried dinner for the “unplannedâ€
The Regulator

Postby The Regulator » Fri May 16, 2008 5:48 am

K guys, I'm in!! :banana:

This is gonna be fun! :)
"Duane"
"03" XR400R
Calvin

Ride Plan

Postby Calvin » Sat May 17, 2008 7:11 am

On the overnight rides so far I have learned two things:
• In the dirt it is tough to do more than 100 miles in a day.
• With the unknowns on a dirt route it is tuff to hold any kind of schedule. Sand washes, single track, hill climbs and bull sessions completely reset the schedule.

The cool thing about caring camping gear tough, is the schedule doesn’t matter. If you had a 120 mile route planned with a dinner stop at the end and you don’t make it…. Well… you just camp there. Sure you are eating power bars and crackers for dinner but that makes the breakfast and the planned dinner stop that much better.

Whether you can hold a schedule or not it is foolish to set out on a multi-day dual sport ride without a plan. So here it is:

We are thinking about starting this ride on Saturday June 14. That date is flexible. If you need to move the date a week one way or the other let us know.
-Calvin
Calvin

Day 1: Castaic To Tecate

Postby Calvin » Sat May 17, 2008 7:15 am

Duane wrangled his schedule and so far Saturday is working for the group. If you need a different day let us know…

Saturday 6/14
Day 1: Castaic Starbucks Round up.
We plan to saddle up on the bikes here and ride straight through (about 230 miles) to Tecate. We've also considered renting a fleet of rental vans and driving down there 3/van. Looks like $60/person +gas. Kind of like the ride option but we are still talking about it.

Day 1: Castaic to Tecate
Mile.....Location..........Surfac.....speed......time
0..........Castaic............paved......60..........10:00
212.......Tecate.........................................1:32 PM
Last edited by Calvin on Sat May 17, 2008 10:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
-Calvin
Calvin

Day 2: The Ride!

Postby Calvin » Sat May 17, 2008 7:20 am

Sunday 6/15, THE RIDE!
Day 2: Tecate to Mt Palomar
Mile.....Location..........Surface.....speed.....time
0...........Start, Tecate....dirt..........15..........8:00 AM
36.........Pine valley.......paved......40..........9:51 AM
36.........BREAK.........................................10:21 AM
71.........Julian..............dirt..........15..........11:51 AM
71.........LUNCH.........................................12:51 PM
84.........Grapevine.......dirt..........15...........1:16 PM
110.......Warner Sprng..paved......15...........2:00 PM
110.......Dinner.........................................3:00 PM
111........Palomar trk trl.dirt..........15..........3:24 PM
124.......camp..............dirt...........15..........4:08 PM
Last edited by Calvin on Sat May 17, 2008 2:46 pm, edited 5 times in total.
-Calvin